A question for management types.

One

I'm stunned to hear that. (The warning, that is.) Not the right way for Autodesk to run a company. Especially in today's economy.

We use Visio a lot at work (for simplified process flow diagrams). Contractor provides full P&IDs to us in AutoCAD format, but not all of us have AutoCAD at work (I think only 2 of us in my branch have it) so we get the full size blueprints (3 ft by 4 ft I think) plus 11x17 PDFs.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The Mathworks -- the folks behind Matlab -- sent out rather letters about a year ago on how they'd like to "remind" us not to violate their license agreements, and that the current license agreement includes provisions for them to come out and audit out usage any time they felt like it (!), and in generally we were probably second cousins to Shawn Fanning.

Our response was to spend awhile tracking down alternative packages to Matlab rather than purchasing another license or two as we'd been thinking about. ...although we still keep our maintenance current on the one copy we already had, since there are a lot of Matlab-only tools out there would be quite time consuming to have to recreate in another product.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sheesh, apologies for all the spelling/grammatical errors in that last post... usually I'm a little more awake by 10AM...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It's been around 25 years, so I can't remember for sure what was the software, but at Omnicomp/GenRad Phoenix I got a call from some software vendor claiming unlawful software copying.

I advised them that, for admission to the building, they'd need not only a warrant, but also documentation naming the disgruntled employee "rat". Otherwise I would instruct the guards to seize their ass and call the police.

They never showed up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Scilab is getting quite impressive, and it's free.

Spehro Pefhany

Of course not, because your reply convinced them that you didn't use pirated copies of their software.

OTOH if in fact you HAD used illegal SW you might not have dared to bluff as boldly as you did. If they'd decided to come after you with a warrant, what do you do? Delete all copies of the SW? Clear out all printouts from the office?

I think the chance of intimidating a SW pirate into doing something "stupid" by announcing surprise visits etc. aren't bad at all, except that they annoy the heck out of lawful (paying) customers.

Just as the stupid un-skippable copyright trailers of DVDs do. They in fact encourage copying because that's the only way to get rid of them.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

He can't help it. It comes naturally.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And after you buy all the toys you want for yourself, you sometimes buy some for the grand kids?

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh, yes !-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Any particular reason for your latest out-of-the-blue insult, or is it just that time of month for you?

--

"Usenet being what it is, if you participate in newsgroups at all over a period if time you have the possibility of attracting your own personal lunatic, who considers any disagreement a personal affront, and considers it their duty and obligation to "expose" the person they fixate on. It's kind of pathetic, but they can't quite seem to figure out why no one else sees their actions as heroic." -Richard Ward

Reply to
Guy Macon

Filter expired? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You post a lot of stupid shit, like the message I'm replying to. Are you out of tampons again? You're bloody stupid.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

'Victoria's Secret' isn't a toy catalog, for the grand kids.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Perhaps not for *the* grand kids, though the kid is now married and SWMBO is hoping for grand kids. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I have a granddaughter already a sophomore in college, with a serious boy friend. So I'm not far from great-grandchildren ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Haven't heard of Sketchup, and I can't tell much glancing at Google's page for it. I have Cadopia's Intellicad 4, a version from four or five years ago. I learned the basics of Autocad with something like R12 in the late '80's, but this thing does just as well as far as "manual" drawing. It runs lisp like Autocad, but with less than perfect compatibility (some functions are named differently, and perhaps other problems I forget). Registration was $149 (a 30 day free trial download ran out, and I decided I couldn't live without it), but Intellicad is an 'open source' Autocad-compatible thing with several vendors offering commercial versions, and there's supposedly been one or two free (compiled, running on Windows) binary versions around - I saw this discussed on Usenet, probably alt.cad.intellicad, years ago. I had some questions about it shortly after I registered it (I forget what, it was some 'advanced' for me thing I was wondering how to do), but could never get registered on Cadopia's forum, and an email to that effect got no response. But for what it does, it still works fine for me.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

I heard that you're so old that you had to hand assemble your first electrons. ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I suggest that you use a killfile to spare yourself the burden of having to read posts that you find in some way to be undesirable. I certainly will: *PLONK*

In the meantime, I refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Don't be so negative.

John

Quite good for so early in the morning, John ;-)

...Jim Thompson