Small town America...

We did it. We "retired" nearly 5 years ago now to a wide spot in the road... we love it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There was a study some years back that came to the conclusion that towns of about 100,000 pop. were optimum. Too small and they did not have things as medical centers that were good. Too large and the cost per capita of municipal workers was higher.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I estimate that a town needs somewhere between 5,000 - 7,000 population to qualify for their own Walmart. (?)

Reply to
mpm

100k is striking towards what I would call "small city" territory, idk if somewhere there's a precise definition of a demarcation (probably not.)

Towns of smaller size than that are fine for families but lousy places to live for e.g. young men in 2018, single male to single female demographics are usually badly skewed. Young women have related problem

- "the odds are good but the goods are odd."

Reply to
bitrex

That's about right. Though Banner built a hospital out here _before_ the big surge to move to the 'burbs. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Or a city of 100K, close enough to a >1M city to use their best facilities but far enough away to not pay for Democrats' incompetence.

Reply to
krw

Freakonomics did better. Big cities have a critical mass of experts, so you can get face-to-face contact with people who know what they are taliking about.

That's why they can command higher rents for living space (which makes the municipal workers more expensive).

You don't need a really big city to get technology hubs like Route 128, Silicon Valley and so forth, but 100,000 people is a bit too few if you haven't got a major university to suck in extra experts.

Jim Thompson doesn't like experts - they tend to disgree with him and win. Dan doesn't move in that kind of environment.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to