A question for management types.

This was during some particularly bad times for the EE department at ASU... all the Professors were Indian's or as old as I am now ;-)

ASU EE is now all Indian students :-(

...Jim Thompson

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn\'t be called research...
                    -- Albert Einstein

C'mon, ease up, Jim. You know what's meant.

Read my post again. I hired him.

Huh? Anyhow, when we then proceeded to hire another guy from the aircraft industry and he happened to be from the same place this production manager came from we got a threat letter from their laywer. I laughed pretty hard.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. My first two times on the interviewing side were real eye openers. Sometimes it was real easy to weed out the chaff, sometimes it was real hard to determine the best candidate(s).

Reply to
JosephKK

That's not only legally unenforcable, it's silly. Why would an employer want an employee around who doesn't want to be there?

John

I think his point was that TPTB didn't think he was qualified because of the industry he was (or wasn't) in. I can sorta see their point in this case. Medical devices is a fairly unique specialization.

I imagine so. That takes a pretty big paid, particularly since you're not in the same industry. Not even close.

Reply to
krw

By snipping where you did, you left out the part where I specified "a helicopter pilot with no electronics design experience applying for a senior deign position", leaving only a partial reply without the context of what he was replying to.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Because too few employers realize how much impact their engineers have in whether or not the finals product are just "OK" vs. "spectacular" -- especially when engineering management is performed by those without engineering backgrounds, which is not at all uncommon today?

I once worked at a place that had a generous tuition reimbursement plan with no strings attached (other than getting decent grades and having the course list approved by your manager)... until we hired one guy who was one year away from finishing a degree (probably MS, although I don't recall for certain anymore), spent a year doing so while not really being that horribly productive yet... and left within a month of graduating. After that they added the clause about having to payback your reimbursement if you left prior to so-many-additional-months of employment...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

In article , snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com says...>

They can leave anytime they want. The employer can demand reimbursement for breech of contract, too. It really isn't a bad deal for either side.

Reply to
krw

I'm sure you'll find that -- as with their U.S.-born counterparts these days -- plenty of them are just trying to get their sheepskins ASAP and any learning that happens to occur is secondary... but on infrequent occasion you'll find some who are quite clever and productive... also as with their U.S.-born counterparts...

The three tracks you were describing from your high-school days sounds quite useful; it's really a shame that these's days the only two tracks are "college bound" and the much-deprecated "non-college bound" (pretty much guaranteed to make your a burger flipper...).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Not really. You just have to watch the rules, truly listen to the Reg/QC guys and learn about EtO sterilization, biocompatibility, outgassing and stuff like that. One problem in med is inbreeding, too often they insist on insiders for jobs and that isn't always good. Need fresh ideas. That was one of the reasons I hired an aeronautics guy.

I think they became afraid that we'd raid the whole place and clean out their workforce.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Demanding recompense for breach of contract ain't the same as getting it.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

field,

license,

I'm sure there is a lot of institutional knowledge that goes along with the regs, though. This are two edges to this sword.

Sure, but they might have a claim if you were raiding IP or practicing some other form of anti-competative monkey business. Being in a *completely* different industry any claims they might have on their employees is laughable.

Reply to
krw

That's what courts are for.

Reply to
krw

Most companies just take it out of the final pay check.

...Jim Thompson

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn\'t be called research...
                    -- Albert Einstein

That just gets you someone who wants to leave but cannot, and thus does not care about his work. Think Wally from the Dilbert comic strip.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

art

In California, a Euro-American is now a minority.

Not yet.... what happens when everyone is entitled to preferential treatment? Is it like Lake Woebegone?

Reply to
RichD

In general if you have people who don't care about their work you terminate them.

:-)

But OK, point taken, back in the real world here, yeah, there are probably situations where the company ends up hurting itself more by keeping the guy around rather than just letting him go and hiring someone new, but again you have those pointy-haired bosses who won't realize this.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Wally would be too lazy to go to school in the first place. He is a burnt out Sloman type who thinks he knows everything, and should be paid for just showing up.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think that's allowable here, but only if the employee has signed a written authorization with the specific amount clearly shown. But if part of one paycheck covers it, it's not really a big deal.

This was a number of months of income for my colleague- first world training and travel paid for by 3rd world wages, even relatively high engineering wages, ends up being pretty close to slavery.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

When I left IBM they deducted anything I owed them (nothing) from my my last check, which included vacation pay and severance. That written authorization, incuding a waiver of any lawsuit relating to the severance, acknowledgment of property rights, and all the other typical exit interview stuff was the price of the severance check.

I believe there is also an issue here with education that is specifically required for your job. My bet is that they're on very thin ice here. Were it me, I'd have him talk to the state labor department. He might be a lot better off than he thinks. ;-)

Reply to
krw