A question for management types.

As I'm going around town and several states handing out resumes, A question keeps bugging me. Do HR types score points for scheduling interviews for nothing? Is it a tax write off to do interviews? Is there a new federal/state requirement to interview a bunch of candidates when you already know who you want? Because I've traveled to two interviews that were a total waste of time for both sides. While I consider them good practice, Its getting annoying.

When I worked at the university, it was interview at least four candidates by state law, but for a private entity I've never seen that rule.

I did take the time to run the resume past a professional resume type.

As my best friend said , at least your getting interviews.....

I know times are hard, but why would HR just go fishing without bait?

Steve

Reply to
osr

Bogus interviews are often part of the process of hiring non-citizens. One has to go through the ritual of advertising for US citizens, interviewing a few, and finding no suitable candidates before submitting the paperwork for hiring a foreigner and getting him/her a green card.

Lawyers are available to assist in the entire process.

John

The key to seeing a bogus green-card related job is the salary being included in the ad. At one place where I worked, we would interview the suckers for the fake green-card jobs on Saturday, so the rest of the staff wouldn't see them. You would think a person applying for a job which states the salary and has Saturday interviews would figure out the job doesn't really exist.

Reply to
miso

skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@r2g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

Whenever an organisation uses performance measurements delivering the rigth measurements becomes the purpose of the organisation; i.e. maybe the HR-people has a target figure of X interviews per week ....

In any case, the "Human Ressource" concept sort of gives the game away does it not? A ressource is something that is exploited for profit until there is nothing left and a replacement must be found.

In public service there most certainly is - In private sector there may be f.ex. "diversity in the workplace"-crap requiring HR to document that they really tried to hire according to the diversity targets before they had to give up and just hire the most competent applicant (or their brothers consultancy or whatever).

Same as ever: To justify their existence and get more ressorces allocated since they are so overburdened with "work".

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen

It's to avoid any racial bias suits.

...Jim Thompson

You guys have confirmed my suspicions.

No Saturday interviews so far, and in one case on a Monday morning interview the foreigner came in right behind me. Since they network and pool resources and don't mind having sixty-two of themselves in a apartment, I guess they can make it on 20K a year.

A easy way to tell seems to be when they have a committee doing the interview, to spread out the liability, with scripted questions.

Oh well, still good practice. I suspect a real interview will take less then 10 minutes.

Best wishes for a new year,

Steve

Reply to
osr

In article , snipped-for-privacy@uakron.edu says...>

Saturday interviews? Why would anyone hold them? Can you make it without a job?

Any non-scripted questions are an invitation to court. If everyone isn't asked the exact same questions, properly vetted by the HR and legal departments, of course, they'll be eaten alive in a courtroom. Sharp interviewers won't ask technical questions at all. ...any more than a psychologist will ask physiology questions.

I never had a "real" interview take only 10 minutes. Even phone interviews were normally a half hour or so. A half-day was normal on-site, though one had me sit in on a design review in the afternoon. Got an offer from that one, too, but HR blew it.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Reply to
krw

The foreign worker that wants the green card is already working at that place of employment. The foreigner you met on the job interview is trying to get a job on H1B status.

The job of the person trying to get the green card is (should) also be posted in a conspicuous location at the workplace. It causes lots of fun because it is not rocket science to figure out whose job is being advertised. You should note that the job adverts are very detailed, i.e. tuned to that person's job. The idea is to make that suckers that show up appear not to be qualified.

Some companies have a particular ethnic slant that they try to fill with H1B and eventually green cards. Exar would hire Turks because of Alan Greenbenie (sp), Atmel hired Greeks due to the Perlegos brothers, etc. Eventually this crap catches up with the companies since they get a pile of inferior employees that are more concerned with covering their countrymen's arses rather than getting work done.

Reply to
miso

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

They usually cover that base with a special "minority job fair."

Reply to
miso

Right. You're between jobs, making $0.00/hour - you're supposed to hire a lawyer for $250.00/hour?

Not today, I think.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think perhaps you didn't understand, Rich. The lawyers are available to MANAGEMENT to make sure that they cover their hineys with the bogus interviews so that "no suitable candidates" is the legally defensible position.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Huh? Nobody would have gotten a job at my previous place without a tech chat. I wanted to know whether they could really design an RF amp off the cuff. If not, no job.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No, I can't imagine that.

Minority employment requirements can trigger that but only if you are part of a minority. I personally do not like that word much because it categorizes people and people should not be categorized.

As others have said it is required if they found an immigrant whom they really want.

I've only worked at smaller companies. I cannot remember a single case where I (or the hiring manager) did not speak to a candidate before even inviting them for an interview. HR did not have a say in this, neither did they pre-screen except for weeding out resumes with really bad typos. The main reason was that we did not want to waste our time or the candidate's time. So if you did not have a phone chat with your future boss and still get invited for an interview that would be a bit suspicious IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No, the employer generally pays the lawyer. I did this once: I had an engineer who was here on a student visa, and we decided he'd work for us full-time if I could get him a green card. I spent about $7K on legal fees (which is cheap, as I understand it) and went through the rituals and eventually got him the card. The day it arrived, he held it up and yelled "I'm out of here!" and left.

He subsequently got mad when he learned he wouldn't get a bonus or a

401K contribution after he left. So he called Autocad and told them we were kiting their software, which wasn't true, and then the Autocad lawyers took after us.

So, lessons learned: no more green cards, and no more Autocad products.

John

Last guy I hired, I flew him (and his s.o.) in for a few days to look the town over. I spent almost one full day with him *designing* a real product together.

How else could you evaluate a design engineer?

John

Given the increase in the African and Mexican (and Asian) population numbers, when Whites are outnumbered by the "minorities", will we be eligible for all the handouts and preferential treatment that the other "minorities" get?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

$7K isn't bad. A headhunter costs far more. I wonder if you could add that into an employment contract as many employers do with relocation costs.

I hope he never looks for a reference. That is just *dumb*.

The first is a pretty broad brush (though there are other reasons to avoid that hassle). The second, is quite understandable. I spent 35 years avoiding Miller products over a $150 check. I figure the payback was pretty big. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Tech chat is quite different than asking questions. The general form goes something like...

"Tell me about yourself".

"Tell me what projects you've done".

"What were your responsibilities"

"What problems did you face and how did you solve them"

...with emphasis on "you", of couse, and perhaps *some* detailed questions about the candidate's design, always framed as curiousity about the circuit rather than the theory.

If it looks like an exam your lawyer may be in for a lot of work.

Reply to
krw

That's a perfect way to do it, though the risk may be in "employment" without compensation. Dunno.

That certainly works. Participation in a design review works too. It gives the candidate a feel for the group, too. I had a lot of fun (as I generally do).

BTW, I did get asked technical questions on the interview for my current job. They were all analog (no one knew enough to ask any digital questions past an AND gate ;) and my analog skills were pretty rusty. I did fairly well, except where the other engineer asked me the wrong question. I got the job, anyway. ...and have done no digital designs yet. Not even an AND gate. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Have you read the laws? Why do women have "minority" status?

Reply to
krw