50 KV optocoupler

What is that? An open sewage canal? Whatever, it looks manmade.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No, that would be the rift between your ears.

Yes. I am quite certain you did it to yourself, putz.

Man made is two words, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Once again you lose, wannabe know-it-all. The correct spellings are manmade and man-made, but never man made. The best service you could perform is to go away, then stay gone.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Certainly man-made, but not for sewage. A real - if small and old - transpo rt canal (as shown by the canal paths on either side), now used mostly for recreation. Holiday-makers sail along them, which makes for interesting pho tographs. You don't expect a sail-boat in the middle of a field.

The Dutch canal system predates railways by a hundred years or so, and serv ed much the same purpose when it was created - people would even make day-e xcursions between the major Dutch cities and admire the local architecture.

Fast canal boats erode the canal banks, so intensively used canals needed l ots of maintenance, which they got - nobody wants a canal-breach in their b ack-yard.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

it's a SWITCH not a rectifier. It's a Optocoupler which could -SWITCH- the high voltage,

pls Read the data sheet..!

To -rectify- that Voltage is -really- no problem.

Jorgen

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

dex.html

oblems with that "thing"

Oh well ! thanks. I could even think how a real designer could maintain safety clearance and creepage distances without drowning all in epoxyde or in polyurethane.

BR, Habib.

Reply to
habib.bouaziz

Joerg, the TOSLINK or FO S/PDIF parts have been with us since 1983 and will stay with us for a long time. All the sufficiently complex electronic devices I've bought the last year (i.e. the TV set and a mobo) have them. I'm pretty sure it'll outlive the USB ports. And there is exactly zero problem with buying them.

Are you sure that a pair of fast FO transceiver/receiver modules designed exactly for that purpose and separated with a fibre as long as you wish will be worse than the cardboard tube-based sculpture in poo you mentioned earlier? RLY? :-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Receiver: $1.86:

Transmitter: $1.32

18" Cable: $1.63
John
Reply to
quiasmox

It doesn't say TOSLink in the datasheet. Sure that it fits?

For mfgs it needs to be a mainstream distributor or a place like Digikey.

Anyhow, this solution totals $4.81. That's rather pricey.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

LED -> Tube slipped on -> photodiode. Can be done under 50c. It does require you to provide a TIA but that's easy and cheap.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I did. Can't see a HV-switch in your datasheet link.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's about pricing, TOSLink has always been on the high side there which is one reason I never used it. Otherwise it would be fine but yes, a high price can make a solution worse than another cheaper one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

HA! Most "RCA plugs" don't say RCA in the datasheet either. TOSLINK is a trademark of Toshiba.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes. It's the standard digital audio connection, also called "S/PDIF", Sony/Phillips Digital Interface Format, which appears as an electrical RCA type connector or as an optical link. The outputs are on the backs of all the flat-screen TVs I have, and they show up as inputs on a lot of audio equipment. Laptops and other computers have a compatible red light stream coming out of their 1/8" audio output jacks, overlaid so to say, when digital output is enabled.

I imagine you can get it somewhere reputable in bulk and prepare the lengths you need.

Well, as the entire system it totals less than 1/5 of the link you put up for a receiver. I wonder if it's more expensive than RYO.

--
John
Reply to

Also, they work on either 5 V or 3.3 V, and are ttl compatible in and out.

--
John
Reply to

AFAICT not on any of ours. I remember this on an older stereo we once had and then on one of the boom box kind of PC speakers. But lately I don't see it anymore, seems like it hasn't caught on.

I don't know what you mean by "less than 1/5 of the link you put up for a receiver". I was just comparing it to the job at hand, providing a high-voltage barrier data links. The simple tube-snippet solution did that for under a buck.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

{snipped}

The link you put up with your comment (above) showed a toslink receiver for about $25. That was what I was replying to, in case it might be useful. But if it wasn't, it wasn't.

--
John
Reply to

Possible you see an Optocoupler in the link?

Jorgen

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

I see two LEDs and one photodiode in your PDF link, that's it. My solution had only one LED and worked fine, for less than a Dollar :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

...and that is why my teeth are broken rocks also. (keep myself skinny now as a precaution)

Reply to
Robert Baer