50 KV optocoupler

Somebody was asking about a HV isolator.

VMI parts are NOT cheap!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

LED -> piece of tubing -> photodiode -> coupler for much less money. I've even seen them using a cardboard tube to shave off another penny.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's for analog push-pull, not competitive with digital fiber optic rated at 10KV per inch fiber length, all digital, multiMHz throughput...not real expensive, proven technology for the last 30 years ( except for a few idiots like that Euro- moron).

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

We used to do that years ago for isolation, then those little darlings of opto couplers came out! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Yea, the HP transmitters and receivers and optical cable. Worked very well. Used in some e-beam supplies.

Martin Riddle

However, to get them through a defibrillator-proof cert was a bear. Most of the work was obtaining all the paperwork for the test house. And there were precious few that would truly hold an 8mm creepage path.

For 50kV it's a whole different ballgame. You almost have to roll your own of costs go through the roof.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Fun, do they at least spray the inside of the tube with something reflective? George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nope, it's just aimed straight. Sometimes the most simple methods are very effective and cheap. The tube was just there to prevent interference from external light sources.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

dex.html

ted at 10KV per inch fiber length, all digital, multiMHz throughput...not r eal expensive, proven technology for the last 30 years ( except for a few i diots like that Euro- moron).

And in at least one tandem mass spectrometer that I worked on. Sadly, the o ptical fibres ended up being routed over a longer path than had been origin ally imagined, and I had to replace the nice cheap-but-lossy plastic fibres with rather more expensive low-loss glass optical fibres. It was a roughly million dollar small-volume machine, so the extra expense didn't break the budget.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

.html

Hello John,

I guess you didn't meant it was me because it is not. I see two major probl ems with that "thing" - OPTOCOUPLER GAIN VS. TEMPERATURE - GAIN DEGRADATION OVER TIME

i'm not impressed.

Best regards,

Reply to
habib.bouaziz

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:50:51 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Those 10 for 3$ laser diodes from ebay I have, shine easily 10 meters away on a LED... Modulate one and it would maybe not even need a tube.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Since a LED or photodiode is relatively wide band, inserting a filter in front of it will block most of the ambient light.

Using IR laser would be the best solution, so that all visible light could be filtered out, but aiming an IR laser at 10 m, might be a bit hard and of course hazardous to the eyes.

Reply to
upsidedown

Life is 1000 hours, so used one hour per day, it would need to be replaced in less than 3 years. If it is still available.

Reply to
John S

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Jan 2015 05:31:54 -0600) it happened John S wrote in :

42 days 24/7? I am tempted to test that out, did you?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A TOSlink TX/RX pair maybe? Pretty cheap, available and scales to gigavolts.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Hmm, when i read the data sheet of the "OC 100HG" from the same manufacturer

which says

"Photodiode Reverse Voltage 10,000 V" (!) and shows a schematic with a 10kV Power Supply powering the load in series with the Photo Diode of the OC,

than i guess, then for the OC in John's link above it is also the

-reverse voltage-! for the photodiode(s), not only the isolation voltage to the driving LED..

So it's not simply a LED and a Phototransistor, which clearly all of us can roll byself with a tube, it's a bit more complicated inside...

It's not simple for most of us to build a reliable semiconductor switch which controls 10 , 25 or even 50kV...

Jorgen

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

50 kV in so small space smells transformer oil to me.
--

-TV
Reply to

You have my dispensation to not buy it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Vendor Managed Inventory? Virginia Military Institute? Vantage Mobility International? Video Masters, Inc? Vendor Managed Inventory? Valmont Industries?

Light pipes can be rather inexpensive, optos are also inexpensive. DIY.

Reply to
Robert Baer

TOSLink "available" and "pretty cheap"?