Question about tablet

Is it possible to generate some kind of output from some android tablet.
? Basically i was thinking on creating some app where user can press
button on the touch screen, and this would trigger some digital or
analog output...

Of course, i will dismantle the tablet :-)

Re: Question about tablet

WiFi? Bluetooth? USB? Light off the screen? Sound from the speaker?
Mag field off the speaker?

Re: Question about tablet

this one in clever: http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN11552.pdf

uses one channel of the headphone/microphone jack for communication and harvest power from a tone output one the other audio channel

for Android there is a standard for USB called IOIO,
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/280

-Lasse

Re: Question about tablet
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:55:02 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Of course, I should have thought of the headphone output.

Re: Question about tablet

You can get USB to digital output modules, someplace.  Google around.

Check FTDI Semiconductor's website -- they put the FT230X onto a DIP
module; they may do the same thing for at least one of their bit-bangable
chips.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

FT311 is specifically the right chip for Android devices that have
USB-OTG. Android 4+ has a built-in driver and Java API that can drive
the chip through any of its six modes (GPIO, UART, PWM, I2C, SPI master,
SPI slave. Minimal external components.

Re: Question about tablet

I assume you want it wireless.  The easiest way is to build your controller module as WiFi AP and running a socket server.  On the Android side, just a simple socket client.

Re: Question about tablet

I just got few wifi modules with the ESP8266, out of the box it has a UART
interface but you can donwload an SDK and write you own code for it, make a webserver, wiggle IO etc.

Work as both AP and STA

15x25mm, less than $3

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pcs-High-Quality-ESP8266-Serial-WIFI-Wireless-Transceiver-Module-Send-Receive-LWIP-AP-STA-Drop-Shipping/32249826963.html

-Lasse

Re: Question about tablet
----------------
Thank you guys for suggestion. In this project all comes down to costs.
In the first place i was thinking on using some 5" or 7" lcd that can be
hooked up to RPI. Now, i dont know if i can hook up this LCD to rpi but
i guess i can. This would be the best solution because of GPIO but if i
calculate the costs then i come to this calculation:

1x RPI ( power plug / board / card ) = $ 50
1x LCD ( with shippment )            = $ 15
TOTAL = $ 65

On the other side, tablet wouldd be cca $20 cheaper...
One more thing. This system should be active 24/7 so i dont know if the
tablet is the right choice....

Re: Question about tablet

I don't know your skill level so...

If you can accept using an arduino to trigger the output when sent data
 from the (android) tablet then half the work is already done (the
arduino/android combo can both send and recieve). There is an android SDK
and some details in the book 'Pro Arduino'. The arduino/android combo
still has a bit of a learning curve but there are probably better books to
describe it and there are lots of good ones on the arduino.

Site Timeline