48VDC 1500W PSU

Mean Well is already in China, of course. So the only advantage you gain by doing it yourself is whatever their profit margin is, and it's probably tiny; in return for which, you need to do some engineering, stock a bunch of expensive parts including magnetics, and do a lot of testing. If it were me, I'd be inclined to let Mean Well do the dirty work. After all, you're not planning on rolling your own electrolytics, or mining your own copper, right?

Reply to
Walter Harley

I've seen a PSU that could supply 1kW (although not at 48V) and it was *tiny*. I doubt the parts cost would get to $80 in qty

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

4 car batteries in series?
kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

So, you would recommend shipping these with each product eh? Remind me never to hire you...

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Nah. You just mark them, "Batteries Not Included". ;-)

--
Cheers!
Rich

Think of all the advantages:

You can put them in a weird shaped box with terminals on one end so it slides into the product and makes contact. You then can sell the batteries at 10X the going price because noone else makes one that fits.

The product will have a low theft rate.

I won't blow away in the wind.

Its "cordless".

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Then buy one and modify it if it's so easy and cheap to do. Or you could recompense someone for doing the work for you.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Ken's reply was well within the parameters of your OP.

No need to remind me not to hire you as a [insert title here]...

Reply to
Never Mind

I don't want 'one'. I want a supplier of hundreds. Maybe when we need thousands I will get one reverse engineered and put our own version through standards testing etc. But for now I have too much else to do.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

So is solar power and having a small thermoelectric Pu generator.

Very true. I don't work for other people these days.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

You buy one, modify it, draw up the new schematic & P/L(BOM), send them a print of your mod in their unit, and ask for a quote. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Would probably work if they were Chinese.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

It depends on how you define "rediculously expensive". 4 car batteries at $40 each is only $160.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

That seems to be correct.