Tech Magazines going electronic.

Totally agree. I do not read anything electronic.

Reply to
ken.maren

This just plain sucks. Most of the trade magazines are dropping the printed version for PDF files. I'm sorry but to bring my PC to the can for reading is impractical. Advertisers stop this nonsense. I will simply stop reading them. I spend enough time in front of a monitor. In this case technology sucks

Reply to
FrankW

Nice. Hint Hint. Good one.

Reply to
ken.maren

I dropped Solid Solutions for that reason. They never sent the refund they said they would. And now they are defunct. With the web for advertising I suspect the bucks for magazine inches has diminished. The other thing about trade magazines that sucks is the articles/infomercials that now proliferate. It is rare for a reviewer to say it like it is anymore.

Reply to
TOP

Are you referring to anything in particular?

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

Bet all the engineers fleeing Houston are busy reading their online trade rag articles on CFD while sitting in traffic. CFD will be a hot item there in a day or so.

Reply to
TOP

That all started years ago when software sales people began pushing "online" help functions in a program as a replacement for a user manual.

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

Wink, wink! Nod, nod! Know what I mean, Know what I mean!

Reply to
Muggs

Yea! And while were complaining, why is it lately that EVERY article is about PDM, FEA or CFD?

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Take a crossword puzzle into the biffy with you.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It depends. I'm reading more on my (1.1Kg) laptop than I read dead-tree these days. (200 books/year) It gets propped up on its side on the bed, taken to the loo, ...

However, PDF is fundamentally the wrong format IMO. I DO NOT WANT to have a simple electronic copy of the magazine. I want one that I can adjust to have text size appropriate to where I am, what the conditions are, ... HTML.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Word to the wise, word to the wise.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Well, I'm in two minds over it. Agree it's a PITA, however if it's cheap enough, I can be bought. Circuit Cellar for $5 a year? Can't go past that. I have even now assembled an old clunker PC in the barn just for reading pdf's !

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I read in sci.electronics.design that TOP wrote (in ) about 'Tech Magazines going electronic.', on Thu, 22 Sep 2005:

CFD? Can't Find Dallas?

John Woodgate

Say no more!

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

They don't know any better? Their employer footed the bill for Adobe? They think it's kewl? It's got scalable vector graphics and text search capability?

Who knows?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

1: Because it was the first cross platform format, and is so widely used that people rarely have to install software to read a file. 2: Some IT departments will not allow you to install other software, but Acrobat reader is commonly installed on networked computers. 3: Most people are familiar with PDF so they don't have to answer a bunch of stupid questions, over and over.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Agree. Why is everyone in the industry so fixated on using PDFs?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I read in sci.electronics.design that Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote (in ) about 'Tech Magazines going electronic.', on Sat, 24 Sep 2005:

It started out free; The reader still is free; Everybody can read it; It works (enough).

John Woodgate