Re: Skybuck's updated dream pc design for 2005 (version 4)

Little update:

( harddisk 5 and 6 will need to be an IDE drive, since the power supply only has 4 SATA drive power connectors and ofcourse extra IDE drive power connectors. )

This might be good or less good:

Good:

If you want to simply attach older ide drives and transfer a software system to the new computer/harddisks.

Less good:

If you want to run windows 64 bit then all software will have to be replaced anyway... and ide drives are probably a bit slower than sata drives... so having all sata drives would be best for performance =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Skybuck's updated dream pc design for 2005: > > ( version 4 created on 10 november 2005): > > All prices are in euro's. > > *** Overview ***: > > Case: Chieftec, smart series, SH-01W-W-W, miditower (white) > Price: 65 > > Power supply: Seasonic S12-600 (600 watt) > Price: 137 > > Motherboard: ABIT AN8 SLI 32x (dual core, dual graphics card support) > Price: unknown, max 200 bucks > > Processor: Athlon 64 X2 Manchester 3800+ (dual core) > Price: 341 > > ( might switch to 2 GB memory sticks, depending on availibility ) > > Memory module1: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, - > Price: 96 > > (memory module 2,3,4 optional/expansion) > > Memory module2: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, - > Price: 96 > > Memory module3: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, - > Price: 96 > > Memory module4: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, - > Price: 96 > > ( might switch to 512 MB graphics cards... depending on cooling solution

not to large/noisy)

> Graphics card1: nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (Gigabyte GV-NX78X256V-B 256 MB,

PCI

Express x16 ) > Price: 498 > > (Videocard 2 optional/expansion:) > > Graphics card2: nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (Gigabyte GV-NX78X256V-B 256 MB,

PCI

Express x16 ) > Price: 498 > > Sound card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro > Price: 291 > > Network card: Linksys EG1032 > Price: 29 > > Harddisk1: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II > (HDS725050KLA360 ) > Price: 328 > > (Hardisk 2,3,4,5,6 optional/expansion:) > > Harddisk2: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II > (HDS725050KLA360 ) > Price: 328 > > Harddisk3: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II > (HDS725050KLA360 ) > Price: 328 > > Harddisk4: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II > (HDS725050KLA360 ) > Price: 328 > > Harddisk5: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II > (HDS725050KLA360 ) > Price: 328 > > Harddisk6: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II > (HDS725050KLA360 ) > Price: 328 > > Disk drive: 3.5 diskstation and 7-in-1 cardreader (white) > Price: 30 > > CD/DVD combo drive: IDE, DVD Rewriter: Plextor PX-740A 16 x, 4 x, 16 x,

Wit

(white), Retail > Price: 65 > > Monitor: Iiyama HM903DTB 19 inch, Ivory (HM903DTB) > Price: 377 > > Keyboard: Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard Wit PS/2 (white), OEM > Price: 10 > > Mouse: Logitech Pilot Wheel Mouse Grijs PS/2 (gray), OEM > Price: 6 > > Speakerset: Creative GigaWorks S750 > Price: 380 > > *** Total costs: *** > > Basic system: > > Case: 65 > Power supply: 137 > Motherboard: unknown, max 200 bucks > Processor: 341 > Memory module1: 96 > Graphics card1: 498 > Sound card: 291 > Network card: 29 > Harddisk1: 328 > Disk drive and 7-in-1 card readers: 30 > CD/DVD combo drive: 65 > Monitor: 377 > Keyboard: 10 > Mouse: 6 > Speakerset: 380 > > Basic price: 2853 > > Extra system: > > Memory module2: 96 > Memory module3: 96 > Memory module4: 96 > Graphics card2: 498 > Harddisk2: 328 > Harddisk3: 328 > Harddisk4: 328 > Harddisk5: 328 > Harddisk6: 328 > > Extra price: 2426 > > Total price: 5279 (ouch! :)) > > *** Comments *** > > 1. Nice case, fits well with the rest of the components, and isn't too

big.

Concerns might > be the airflow because multiple fans could cancel each other out investigate ;) > > 2. Power supply is cool, quite and efficient and is/should be able to

supply

all juicy necessary =D > It has a slow fan, so the question is if it can draw enough heat out of

the

case... but > since a slower processor is chosen it should not be a problem... however

the

harddisks > and the graphics cards also produce lot's of heat... especially the > harddisks ;) The case does have optional harddisk cooling fans... the question is if

this

is smart.. > see above point 1 > 3. The little brother of amd x2 4800+, the amd x2 3800+ almost performs as > well as it's bigger > brother... but the bigger brother is almost 3x times more expensive while

it

only delivers about 20% performance > increase, so the athlon x2 4800+ is waaaay too expensive and will also run > hotter and will require more cooling, > which means more noise... so the athlon x2 3800+ seems like a nice deal...
little bit less processing power... but > cool, quite and cheap > 4. I don't know yet how much noise or heat the GTX creates... however I

can

remember reading > that it's quite quite ;) meaning low noise which is good. > > 5. It might be wise to fill in, amd's power chart, to be sure that 600

watts

is enough for > the basic+extra system stuff ;) But it's kinda boring haven't done that

yet.

> 6. The new abit motherboard will have 2 extra sata connectors on top of

the

4 sata connectors > so 6 sata drives becomes possible... which is how many drives the case can > mount ;) > Otherwise a bigger case would need to be selected for 8 drives... but

that's

a bit over the top > and too much external drive bays... room for some air/heat to go up there... maybe that s good I dont know... > but the midi tower > case should be just fine as well... and the full tower might be a bit too > big... the power > supply has a little short wire for it's main power connector... but it > should be just fine > for the midi tower oh yeah. > > 7. The previous motherboard.. the fatality sli 16x... too many fans > so I will wait for this new motherboard with passive cooling etc. and less noisy. > and full 16x sli slot bandwidth... hopefully ! =D > > 8. The case has easy access to all external drives and power button... no > stupid doors :) > > 9. I haven't found any good monitor review site... so I am not 100% > convinced about the monitor. > > *** Details ***: > > Power supply: Seasonic S12-600 (600 watt) > > 6x 5.25 inch 4 pins power connectors > 4x sata drive power connectors > 2x floppy drive power connectors > 24pin or 20pin main power connector Separable > 2x PCIe Graphics power connectors: > Suited for dual core: yes > Low noise and efficient. > > 16" cable for main 20+4 pin ATX connector. > 26" cable with two 6-pin PCIe video / SLI connectors > 18" auxiliary 12V connector > 19" auxiliary 4x12V connector (for dual CPU boards) > 33 " cable with three 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive

power

connector > 27" cable with two 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive power > connector > 2 x 24" cables with two SATA drive connectors each > 21" cable with 3-pin PSU fan speed monitor connector for motherboard > > Posting comments: > > Hello there folks, > > Selecting and building your own PC can be quite time expensive so here is

my

nice list of components all hand picked and looked at from review sites

and

specifications and manuals etc. > > The basic price of 2853 euro's is quite affordable for a high performing, > high quality, at least 3 to 5 years last PC ;) > > Follow some software/windows optimization tricks... and your/this system > will fly fly fly fly and fly woeeeh. > > The only unknown factor so far is the motherboard... so I will wait for

this

new motherboard to be available at nearby internet stores. > > I welcome any questions or comments about this design. > > And yes, the extra price is quite expensive, isn't it ! ;) :) components/harddisks etc wow, it's almost as expensive as the basic system
!
> Bye, > Skybuck. > >
Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Keep your movie collection online.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I read in sci.electronics.design that Nikonja wrote (in ) about 'Skybuck's updated dream pc design for 2005 (version 4)', on Thu, 10 Nov 2005:

You don't know about the next but one version of Windows?

John Woodgate

I have nearly this much storage. However I would not do it with a set of internal drives, the way that was being suggested. Instead stick a couple of the Buffalo TeraStation units on a network connection to the machine. As for 'why you'd want it', I have a data base containing every engineering drawing, program, the compiler used to generate the program, sources and notes, from a company designing electronics. A typical project will run to about 250MB, and there are usually two or three 'in operation' at any time, and I have to be able to look back over the last four or five years of data. The data is duplicated on another site, and on tapes, but the 'in use' copy is mine. Two HP network storage units, and one of the Buffalo units. Use RAID, since though nothing is perfect, this gives a higher chance of data surviving a simple 'drive'failure.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Who needs 2.5TB of hard disk space ??? What would I do with it ?

Reply to
Nikonja

I have nearly 2TB and I don't have warez, movies or p*rn on there. It is a general rule of computing these days that data grows to fill the storage space you have.

please don\'t top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Andrew

supply

And then one day you can't boot anymore and all that 'space' is not accessible any longer.

Reply to
JAD

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:33:50 +0100, "Skybuck Flying" had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

You can get adapters for them and the two Seagate hard drives I have in my pc have both power connectors. Also, some motherboards come with 4-pin molex to sata power adapters.

Only a few companies have made drivers or applications available in

64-bit.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

only

connectors. )

Let's see

500 GB for applications (some applications already 2 to 4 GB) 500 GB for games ( some games already 2 to 4 GB) 500 GB for films (films around 1 to 2 GB) 500 GB for television series (300 MB per show) 500 GB for p*rn lol
Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Even that is not likely to need more than 2gb in anything but way excessive hyperbole. So what does one do with most of the other

2.498 TB ?
--
	Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Reply to
Sander Vesik

spacccceeeee

Ofcourse I can boot ;)

I simply use system commander for dual/multi boot.

I simply install another operating system as a backup operating system incase something happens with the first operating system ;)

And then there is still the possible of bootable cd's =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Development environments ;) (For example visual studio, maybe even delphi, etc ;) :) )

Maybe even some graphics programs =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

On top of this all there are other benefits:

  1. Never having to find files to delete
Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Using this power supply wattage calculator for a computer it turns out that

600 watts might be jjjjust enough for the full system/monster (6 sata drives, all memory sticks, 2 power eating graphics cards, etc ) at 100% cpu and 100% graphics card and I am sure my system will hit those percentages in the near future during games ;) ooooh yeah.

So one would have to be carefull not too add any other extra stuff to this system because the power supply might not be able to deliver it and then the system is in trouble ;) or cut back on some drives or graphics cards or sticks etc...

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Or alternatively...

Instead of using two very power hungry 7800 GTX graphics cards... one could choose two 7800 GT graphics cards... which consume a lot less wattage.

With the two power hungry 7800 GTX cards the needed wattage will be about

600 ! Give or take a little for fans and other unencounted things.

With the two less power hungry 7800 GT cards the needed wattage will be about 568 ! Give or take little for the fans and other unencounted things.

So then the system should run just fine... even with extra usb mouses or other usb devices attached to it... (Currently the design will have a ps/2 keyboard and a ps/2 mouse... but the power supply calculator doesn't include it ?)

Good thing I checked this wattage stuff man... because it turns out... this is one power hungry motherfucka hahahahahaha lovely =D (euhm not really... makes me cry aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :P:))

Bye, Skybuck.

that

cpu

in

the

enough

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

the

Oh I see it's at the buttom... 40 watt for motherboard and 3 watts for keyboard and mouze ;)

this

percentages

this

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Joe Mama

Hey folks,

Check out this new thread:

Or simply google for:

Skybuck updated dream pc

For google newsgroups.

The design is still not done... but it's getting close ;)

So expect the final design hopefully before the end of the year lol ;)

Right now I am investigating power requirements and ampere stuff etc ;)

It seems instead of the GTX 7800 cards the GT 7800 should be used because those require less wattage...

I still need to investigate if 18A on the 12+ volt rail is enough for the GTX or GT ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Well occording to this review the seasonic S12 600 watt power supply had no troubles powering a double 7800 gtx graphics card sli setup.

Small wie :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Well occording to this review the seasonic S12 600 watt power supply had no troubles powering a double 7800 gtx graphics card sli setup.

Small wie :)

So at least the amperage stuff shouldn't be of any concern anymore woeh.

Bye, Skybuck.

rail/connector

Reply to
Skybuck Flying