off tiopc

I cnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Aotnhy Wdordligode

Reply to
anthony wooldridge

This was so good the first time but nevertheless welcome back to Earth !! (mebbe ya should make more of an effort to keep up here?)

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

I'm a part time or semi retired designer my other job now is farming so I don't visit here much till the crops are drilled or winter sets in. I hadn't seen it before yesterday, just goes to show what sheltered lives farmers live :) Regards Anthony

Reply to
anthony wooldridge

The

wrod

the

wouthit a

istlef,

was

My daughter thought I was being mean when I gave it to my Vietnamese wife, she read it very easily and only stumbled on phenomenal and Cambridge. I was suprised and amazed.

Reply to
amdx

Mind if I use your example in a book I'm writing (with appropriate credit)?

regards Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

It's astonishing. Albeit hardly new.

I wonder if it works for non-native english speakers ( readers ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

fnord!

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Yep!(holland)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

--
There _is_ the requirement for a priori knowlege of the word,
however.  For example, "Aotnhy Wdordligode" is untranslatable

Does the smae phenomenon happen in other written languages? I mean, you're talking about reading scrambled English, right? So I wonder if, for example, it would work in Dutch or French or German or Spanish. It'd be really interesting to rearrange some Katagana or Hiragana. ;-) (Japanese syllabaries, not that I can read it.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Of csoure you may, I cnonat cilam cidert tuohgh as it was snet to my wfie via eiaml. I dnot konw the oirgontar. It semes taht its been going rnuod for smoe tmie. Atnohy

Reply to
anthony wooldridge

I'm danish and I can read it just fine, but I also read much more english than I read danish so it may not mean much.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Well, Kanji is characters derived from Chinese, where each symbol represents something - I hear that they're supposed to memorize like

6,000 of those things (and a Chinese typewriter is something that has to be seen to be believed), but Katagana and Hiragana are syllabaries, like, "ah, ee, oo, ay. oh, bah, bee, boo, bay, bow, ka, kee, coo, cay, coe, dah, dee, doo, day, doh, fah, fee, foo, feigh, foe... I'm sure you get the idea. There's not much distinction between "L" and "R", as we all know quite famously. (google "engrish" ;-) ).

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

So, tell us - are the Scandahoovian women as hot as they always look on US TV?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

I've seen it in Swedish, too.. worked the same. Are japanese words put together the same way (kind of phonetically) as latin lanuages do?

Reply to
Dope mcSmoke

The non- ideographic scripts are syllabaries, so the words tend to be shorter.

The whole thing ought to be a clincher in the argument among educationalists between phonetic and whole- word reading. Though, of course, I doubt if anyone has used that particular text to teach 5 year olds to read. We had to make do with a text that started promisingly, "This is Dick", but went downhill from there.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Paul Burke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I think this is irrelevent to "learning" readers, and only works on "experienced" ones. Similar to mores code. I needed to hear and interpret every dit-dah. (I can't even do thet now.) A decent ham just hears "word patterns" in context, and would ignore minor "errors".

Reply to
Ken Moffett