24V switching PSU?

Driven by 120 VAC? 500 watts and cheap don't go very well together, unless you are thinking of surplus or used equipment, and then the shipping might scare you.

Maybe:

John Popelish

Rated around 500W and which is cheap?

-- Dirk

The Consensus:- The political party for the new millenium

Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Volume. Order a million 24V 400W PSUs and you can probably get them for $15(us).

The cheapest way is probably 2 cheap PC power supplies, and 2 big diodes in case they get shorted.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Production items. So, how come 400W PC PSUs are so cheap and a 24V PSU isn't?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Check with Jameco; they have a reasonable selection of higher-powered switchers. I was looking for a 3.3 V, 20+ A supply yesterday and they had a couple around US$80 quantity 1. The parametric search on their Web site is fairly useless; download the PDF catalog and flip through the power supply pages.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

That's 66W. The OP wanted 500.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

We buy lower power, 150W 24V switchers from

and they have been very reliable and ship when they say they will. Their sp500-24 is 500W at 24V, enclosed, with power factor correction for $260 qty 1.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Reply to
Carl Ijames

My mistake; you're right. I was thinking about some bigger supplies that I was also looking up at Jameco yesterday. They do have ones that big, but a 24 V, 25 A supply starts at $174/1 and gets worse from there.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Battery charger. I used to work for these guys:

. Their website is being upgraded, so you'd have to call them (818) 886-

2273. They wind their own ferroresonant transformers. Another thought is an aircraft ground power supply, which is nominally 28V, but all they'd have to do to make one for 24 is leave a couple of windings off the secondary of their transformer. The APUs have a BMF capacitor - a battery charger would have nasty ripple.

If you call them, tell them Rich Gryce sent you. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm starting to think that a big fat transformer and some fat caps are going to be the cheap way to go. I don't need super regulated PS.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

In article , Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote: [...]

If nothing else is at issue, this usually is the lowest cost way to go.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Can one get 500W of transformer, plus large caps, for the price of 2 PC power supplies?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ian Stirling wrote (in ) about '24V switching PSU?', on Wed, 12 Oct 2005:

Can you get 500 W at 24 V out of two PC power supplies? The 12 V outputs are usually fairly low power compared with the 5 V outputs.

John Woodgate

Hope you weren't referring to astrodyne, since their website does have pricing. They also have a 225W open frame unit for $125 qty 1 if you wanted to use one psu per motor :-). They only have the 500W version as an enclosed unit, not open frame. We were looking at powering a brushless dc motor a while back, and at 24V and about 75 W an open frame switcher from astrodyne was cheaper than I could find a power transformer, bridge, and caps. Good luck with your search.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Well, since I intend to use it to drive some 200W 24V DC motors a bit of ripple won't matter. BTW, I really dislike sites that don't have prices.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Notwithstanding stacking PC power supplies is probably not a really exceptionally great idea. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not true anymore. The processors are powered off the +12V supply output (the ATX-12V and EPS-12V specs). That's were the real power is (500W is a little high though).

Here is one with 440W (20A) on the +12V output:

  Keith
Reply to
Keith Williams

Why then does "Watts RMS" Get 1.55 million hits on Google, and "RMS Watts" gets over 15,000?

Not to mention "continuous RMS watts" which gets almost 200 hits, probably fewer than the others because it's the crème de la crème of watts.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You also have to consider the distinction between mere "continuous watts" and the superior "continuous RMS watts".

Here you can see that Yamaha is fully aware of the difference:

"Continuous RMS power is the spec that really tells you how powerful an amplifier is"

And here are some relatively high-end ($28,290 per amplifier) tube amplifiers-- 18 watts "Continuous RMS watts/channel into 8 ohms"

Of course the more expensive amplifiers offer more of those "continuous RMS watts".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Maybe he meant "RMS" as in "Ridiculous Marketing Standard". ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence