NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

The Subject line, above, is from an eBay vendor. Anybody know if the
seller's claim is accurate?

The seller also said, in respect to new competitor to Luxeon: "There
is another competitor as well; Cree's X-Lamp preforms about equivelent
to a 3 watt star but only draws 1 watt of power."

I'd like to hear from anybody who has tried the X-Lamp, and can
comment on how many hours it works before dimming (lifespan.)

Also, where to buy Cree and Apollo at the lowest prices. Thx.

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

http://www.quickar.com/apollo.php?session=8haXFmAh

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

I'd take it with several tons of salt.
Actul (paraphrased, as I can't recall exactly) response to a question on
an ebay auction.
"Yes, the 3W LED torch is really 3W, and it stays as bright for 20
hours on 3AAA cells"

Cunning, 18Ah AAA cells...

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

> I'd take it with several tons of salt.
> Actul (paraphrased, as I can't recall exactly) response to a question on
> an ebay auction.
> "Yes, the 3W LED torch is really 3W, and it stays as bright for 20
> hours on 3AAA cells"
>
> Cunning, 18Ah AAA cells...

   The state of Florida is planning a sales tax holiday on Hurricane
supplies.  You can buy a cheap generator, but not a good one.  There
were about a dozen items on the list, but not things I would buy without
a definite need.

   The list of items excludes AA and AAA batteries.  I used more AA
cells than anything else during last year's week long outages.  I guess
I'll stock up anyway.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

>    The state of Florida is planning a sales tax holiday on Hurricane
> supplies.  You can buy a cheap generator, but not a good one.  There
> were about a dozen items on the list, but not things I would buy without
> a definite need.
>
>    The list of items excludes AA and AAA batteries.  I used more AA
> cells than anything else during last year's week long outages.  I guess
> I'll stock up anyway.

Hmmm .... mebbe stock up on D cells, if they're on the approved list, and build
some adapters to power your AAA and AA stuff from the D's.

> --
> Former professional electron wrangler.
>
> Michael A. Terrell
> Central Florida

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

   I spent about a week in a special needs shelter after Hurricane
Jeanne, then a full week at home without electricity while damaged poles
were replaced all over the area.  I had a couple radios with me at the
shelter but I'd like to buy a generator big enough to let me run the
well pump and refrigerator.  I was miserable with no air conditioning
and respiratory problems.  I have started stocking up on canned foods
that don't have to be heated to last a few weeks, just in case.  The
Ocala area was hit hard the other day with two tornados, as well.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

This may be a stupid question, but why is electricity delivered on poles?
In Britain the cables were burried years ago.
You suffer from earthquakes?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

>In Britain the cables were burried years ago.
==================================
What is the UK neighborhood distribution voltage? In the US its about
7200 volts and UNINSULATED. The pole transformer brings 240V center
tapped to the house. I always heard the reason was the thick insulation
required to prevent leakage when the lines are buried.

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

>>In Britain the cables were burried years ago.
>
> ==================================
> What is the UK neighborhood distribution voltage? In the US its about
> 7200 volts and UNINSULATED. The pole transformer brings 240V center
> tapped to the house. I always heard the reason was the thick insulation
> required to prevent leakage when the lines are buried.

I've only seen a pole transformer in some rural backwater.
None in towns or cities here that I am aware of.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

You can't dig a hole in Florida. It fills up with either seawater or
swamp. Much like Louisiana - ask John. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

>>> In Britain the cables were burried years ago.
>>

>> ==================================
>> What is the UK neighborhood distribution voltage? In the US its about
>> 7200 volts and UNINSULATED. The pole transformer brings 240V center
>> tapped to the house. I always heard the reason was the thick insulation
>> required to prevent leakage when the lines are buried.
>>
> I've only seen a pole transformer in some rural backwater.
> None in towns or cities here that I am aware of.

I have one right outside my house, which is in a nearby suburb of NYC.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

No, in fact we quite enjoy them :-)

I would not begin to guess the ratio, but a lot of places are on poles,
and lots of others are buried. In my neighborhood, its all underground.
Ten miles away, its phone-pole-city.

I know that a lot of the infrastructures are pretty old, so perhaps it is
related to technology then, as opposed to what we have learned since. I
always watch in horror as the hurricanes batter the east coast, taking out
power and really messing up people's lives for days, and even weeks.
Then I just laugh at the stupidity of the power company, obligingly
putting up new poles, stringing all new wire, just in time for the next
storm to make them do it all over again.

If you view corporations and government the way I do, you know why they
just keep putting up poles, and stringing new wires. Insanity is defined
how?

Anyone know the real scoop? No, I don't want to google for the answer :-)

JB

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

Fairly simple, really...

It's cheaper to put up poles, and string lots of wires, and is quicker.
  To bury the facilities, you have to dig a trench, lay conduit, put in
manholes and buried junction boxes, use higher insulation  cable that is
water penetration and rodent penetration resistant, etc.  Also, in a lot
of neighborhoods, the poles are already there!

Charlie
(who has been looking into building on undeveloped land, and so has had
to price the difference!)

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

Inititially it would appear less expensive to set it up that way, but I am
hard pressed to think its cheaper in the long run to keep putting them up
three times a year, year after year. It also does not seem overly
beneficial to anyone who is waiting for their power to come back on, three
and four weeks after the storm.

Considering that many places do bury their cables, I am just curious.

It would  be interesting to see some numbers on the cost of maintaining,
replacing and repairing them tho, as without them, its just speculation.
Can't argue it would be cheaper initially, but if I was a resident of
Hurricane Alley, and there was no good technical reason why the lines
can't be buried, I think I would be up in arms to see the power company
out there year after year, decade after decade, hoping for the results to
be different this next time. After all, they all went ballistic over
hanging chads and Terri Shaivo, surely they must have a little outrage
left to put to good  use :-)

John

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

Yes, but you see...

Expence to install initial facilities - MINE
Expence to maintain facilities - UTILITY

So, if I reduce the installation expenses, I save money, at the expense
of the utility having to maintain them later.  So, I use poles!

Also, underground utilities are not maintance free.  Flooding and water
penetration are a major problem, as are the fact that rodents seem to
like chewing on them.  Also, the problem of someone digging a new fence
in right through your utilty line, etc.

Charlie

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

Well, one out of two ain't bad :-) You are right about the up front logic,
but the utilities don't have any money. They just take it from the
customer, and use it to keep putting up the downed lines, year in and
year out, for decades now, so I can see that they are not motivated to do
anything less expensive, or different than they have always done. Short
term thinking is all that it is.

This sounds reasonable, but there are a lot of areas in the country where
the lines are buried, so I am guessing that technology is allowing for it
more and more, given the proper environment, and perhaps there are some
forward thinking people in charge, somewhere, who see the financial
benefit over the long term? <shrug>

I would assume that the lines are not buried as just wire, but it goes in
conduits, right? Given a better kind of enclosure, much of what you say
could be avoided?

The lines are under ground in my area, and for the most part, we have no
outage problems during storms. Across the valley, folks were out of power
for three weeks a few winters ago, while they went around with trucks and
poles putting everything back together, in the worst possible weather
conditions. When I see them putting the poles and the lines back up, I
just have to wonder what exactly they are thinking, and I wonder where the
outrage is from the consumers in the first place?

Of course, these are the same consumers who, when the power went out for
three weeks in the dead of the winter, they complained long and loud about
how they were freezing cold in their own living rooms, and then they
bitched about how the food in the refrigerator and their deep freezers all
was ruined since they couldn't keep it cold.......... It is a strange
planet we live on....

JB

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

Yep, there are a lot of benefits for the buried utilities, but since you
have to dig through and under the right of way to bury the conduits.  In
an established neighborhood that means cutting trees (a big no-no)
burrowing under roads, getting access to peoples land for big trucks,
etc.  If it was easy, they would do it, cause it would save them money.

Also, even though the cable is pulled through conduit, and into sealed
manholes and underground vaults, they STILL get water, gas, and rodents
in them.  There are always some leaks, and holes, so you have to build
everything like it will be installed underwater.  But it does work!

Charlie

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

Uk is mostly buries  utilities.
I dont understand why hollow sidewalks/pavement areas  are not universal
to provide quick access. Here we are always digging then up
--
dd

Re: NEW 1 WATT RED APOLLO LED BEATS LUXEON STAR (?)

Security

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-