PC PSU in Parallel

Since non standard high power switching PSUs are absurdly expensive is it possible to parallel PC PSUs eg 5V + 5V = 10V? (5-0-5)

If so, any problems likely? And how do such PSUs fail? If one fails will I likely get 0, 5V, something weird?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Er... ****SERIAL****! Sorry about that - brain malfunction.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Should be Ok provided that one puts a diode across each power supply so one cannot push current through the other (if it is off) and each unit need a minimum load on the 5V line to regulate.

Much work has gone into making them fail OFF, with Zero output - but they

*are* cheap s**te really and if the load is more expensive than the common USD 100 motherboard you might want additional protection: fuses+transorbs.
Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Well- if he keeps that load capacitance down and uses a boot capacitor across the whole current source of about 100x this- back biasing an HV diode to the 10KV supply , then the slew rate problem is eliminated or at least vastly reduced.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No. That's why I post such Q here

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

If you really want plus 5, zero, minus 5, then yes, if you float the chassis of the one you're going to use for the negative supply, and use that as the negative supply itself, and connect its positive output to your 0V reference (often called "ground"). I saw this done a lot before the 7900 series three-terminal negative regulators were perfected. If you intended to make one 10V supply, then I'd say no, don't even try, because it's a nightmare trying to get them to share the load properly. But, like I say, if it's for a plus and minus supply, it's doable, but watch your ground loops, observe all safety precautions, No warranties expressed or implied, do at your own risk, and all the standard disclaimers.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise