100nF vs. 0.1uF

I've seen it done, but not "usually".

I get the impression that, at least in the past, Europeans tended to use nF and whole numbers and Americans uF and decimal fractions in that range. Similarly with fF and fractions of pF.

Has anyone noticed that liar2six was replying to a 9-year-old post?

Reply to
Pimpom

Sure. But the SNR has been pretty low lately, so we're pathetically grateful even for a thread on ref des.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Can't argue with that. Let's hope Trump and AGW don't stray into this thread :-)

Reply to
Pimpom

Instead of confusing things with an extra '+', why didn't you just give them the arrow? You could delete the erroneous '+' to remove further confusion. It shouldn't be hard to include either(both) change(s) in the symbol and footprint libraries, for future use, either.

Reply to
krw

Why is it so strange? pF and uF work perfectly well. Millifarads aren't often used, either, preferring 1000uF.

I've seen that both ways and I understand your point but it has no relevance WRT capacitors.

Reply to
krw

Because you should use the most convenient unit in a given application.

It depends, millifarads are good if the number of uF is large. The values used by one of my design were 12600 and 100000uF, which requires unnecessary zero counting -- boring and potentially leading to a mistake. Technically it could be as well expressed in pF, but 12.6 and 100mF is much more readable.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

It's no more convenient. 'M' and 'm' are too often confused.

You're buying pretty expensive capacitors, there (three significant figures). What's wrong with 0.012F or 0.1F, instead.

As would 'M' and 'm'. My BOMs don't have package sizes.

Reply to
krw

M makes no sense in the case of caps, the mankind has just barely reached 'k' and it is not sure whether these double layer devices are caps at all. So there is nothing to be confused, contrary to the case of resistance.

Yes, but mostly because of their max. allowed temperature (125 C), not because of capacity. A consumer-grade 100mF is not that expensive.

With 0.1F nothing, the former contains way too many unnecessary zeros, just as 10000pF does. One can also buy 0.001 tonnes of sugar, why not... Technically correct, but looks awkward.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Not sure what you are saying. "M" is often used to mean "micro" while "m" should mean "milli". But if I see MF I don't know if someone simply made a mistake in capitalization or if they mean uF.

Hey, I was comparison shopping rice at Wallyworld and they had the unit prices in $/ounce. Who the heck buys rice in ounces??? I was looking bags that started at 1 lb and went up to 20 lbs.

I've also seen stores unit price spices in $/pound which makes them look

*really* expensive.

So it should be 100 mF and 12 mF? I don't find that at all confusing since no one should be abbreviating micro with a lower case "m". If they do the blame is on them.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

It does seem more sensible :) Or the hollow anode symbol.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Electronics certainly trumps those.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was hoping nobody would ask why. It was late in the day. The films for making the PCB had just come back from the photographers and was ready to go to the PCB maker early the next morning. That's when someone reminded me of the polarity problem. I should have made changes to the original PCB silk screen tape up (this was before PCB CAD was common) and sent the originals out for new film. But, that would slide the schedule at least one full day. I wanted to edit the drawings showing the outer foil arrow, but someone from production insisted that the drawings and PCB had to be matching. So, I decided that I could most easily take an xacto knife, and gouge out two "+" signs in the negative, without sending the artwork out for more film. I would have had problems making a larger arrow with a "-" sign in the same manner. Editing the negatives was generally discouraged, but done sometimes in the name of expediency, as long as the originals were updated later to reflect the butchery. I survived the inevitable lecture and tongue lashing, and lived to repeat my gross breach of proper procedure at least once that I can recall.

Also, it would have been difficult to add the arrow to the symbol and footprint libraries. This was not a computer based CAD system. It was a sheet of mylar, plastered with tape, pads, and "Stick Type". Something like this (which I recently threw away):

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I wonder why (I think it was the Japanese first) someone set the standard of tagging the negative side of electrolytic caps.

They also had the red terminals of their DVMs the negative voltage in ohmmeter mode, but positive in voltmeter mode. I think they got over that one.

Diodes have their own history.

We do lots of things backwards.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

LET ME REPEAT WHAT YOU SNIPPED "three significant digits"?

Absurd.

Reply to
krw

The blame may be on them but the confusion is all yours.

Reply to
krw

... like current flow

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's not necessarily the negative side. The arrow signifies that it's the outer foil of the capacitor. In theory, the outer foil could be either negative or positive, depending on how the capacitor is made. If the outer foil were positive, I would expect to see a "+" sign on the arrow. However, I've never seen one like that.

My guess(tm) is that the designed figured that since resistors are not polarized, it didn't matter which lead was positive or negative on the ohms scale. In the tube era, that was probably a good assumption. In the low voltage semiconductor era, not so good.

Yep. The arrow points in the direction opposite the electron flow.

.tnenamrep emoceb dna gnol oot rof ecalp ni tfel era yeht sselnu ,detcerroc teg yeht ,yllautnevE .sdrawkcab enod tseb era sgniht emoS

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I was told that the current always flows downhill. Has this changed and we are now paddling against the current?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

In a meeting someone once said antennas should be at the bottom of a hill because the electrons flowed downhill... and he wasn't joking. Those were the days!

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Probably a carryover from pre-digital days when most analog MMs were made that way.

Reply to
Pimpom