100nF vs. 0.1uF

Those are 0603s... I'd guess that at least 95% of all the caps we use are either 0603s or 0402s these days.

Thanks, I'll look for them.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

We don't do it here on regular schematics -- none of our schematic capture tools support the style, even if we wanted to. And I can't claim to have seen any "electronic" schematics doing it this way (except rather old ones), but I do still see plenty of "electrical interconnect" schematics (stuff like how one box hooks up to another -- PLC wiring, machine control wiring -- the sort of thing electricians in factories refer to) that do it this way.

Can you cite any references to support this "fact?"

Aren't you the same guy who was telling John Larkin he doesn't know how to use a vapor phase degreaser properly?

Where I work, we're doing contract design and light manufacturing for various military and commercial entities, so we'll do whatever they want so long as the work is interesting and we can make money at it. Very few contracts are so "precise" that they call out *any* standard for schematic drawings. While the client gets a copy of the schematic, I suspect the vast majority of times they just file it away somewhere, never to be seen again: They just want a box that works and is reliable, they don't care that much about our process in designing them.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

[snip]

How about two different pin names, but each pin refers to the same label name, like ports are actually labels??

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Due to excessive spam, gmail, googlegroups, UAR, and AIOE blocked!

I think your main problem here is that most of us who have been engineering for awhile figure that the various different ways of "doing things" generally have various pros and cons that aren't always obvious at first glance and therefore find discussing them useful. You seem to be one of those people who has already decided for yourself that there's one and only one "best" way to solve any given problem, and anyone who does it differently must just be wrong.

Maybe you should resurrect the old discussion of whether or not 555 timers should ever be used in contemporary circuit design?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Maybe DimBulb/AnimalMagic will go yell, scream, and stamp his feet outside their headquarters to protest this and leave us alone for awhile.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That can be worked until pin counts get up over say 100 or so. I would like to see someone do that with a 700+ pin device.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have his number... he can't escape NewsProxy ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Due to excessive spam, gmail, googlegroups, UAR, and AIOE blocked!

Yep, figuring out how to draw stuff like big FPGAs is always... interesting.

Some schematic capture/PCB layout packages let you use one schematic symbol pin to represent multiple PCB footprint pads, so a part with 50 common grounds, 30 Vcc's, and 20 VccIO's (or whatever) can be cleanly represented with just three symbol pins for those 100 pads.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yep. It has been ages since i have seen a silver mica cap. By the way, does anyone here know of say, polystyrene SMT parts? How about Mylar (TM) or other plastics in SMT?

Reply to
JosephKK

with

Polystyrene has a very low melting point, so it's not suitable for SMT processing (not to mention lead-free SMT processing). Polyester and polypropylene are much better, but still unsuitable.

Some newer polymers that are used are PPS (PolyPhenylene Sulfide) and PEN (PolyEthylene Naphthalate).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Take a look at this simple javascript I wrote to decode the markings on SMD capacitors:

It displays all values in pF. I never got back to it to show larger values in uF.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

at

Maybe. It could be that the lack of foul language fooled me. If so it can't keep it up for long.

Reply to
JosephKK

Neat, thanks!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I didn't recognise him by who he was but I did recognise him for what he was. I thought a little gentle irony would wind him up nicely - and it did!

Done - with pleasure.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

You're welcome. You can download the zipped file and install it on your computer, or computers availible to your ssemblers.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh boy. It must be real fun making PCB layout and Schematic capture play nice with each other for parts like that.

Reply to
JosephKK

than

with

Thanks, it is good to know that these alternatives exist.

Reply to
JosephKK

And some folks will take it as a military kiss up.

Reply to
JosephKK

Why? The netlist would just show all those pads connected to a single net (GND or Vdd or whatever) and the layout program would take it from there. The only hassle might come in if you wanted to separate them for some perverse reason.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

, and the app

t cross at