Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

I have in my collection of capacitors, some ceramic disc 100nF and monolithic blue ceramic 100nF.

Can they be substituted for each other? I have been having a difficult time searching for anything that is conclusive, or for that matter anything suggesting a use for the mono's.

They are both 50v, 100nF, ceramic type.

Reply to
Wayne

Should add that I am aiming to use these with a 7805 regulator.

Reply to
Wayne

I've been using both types with 7805 regulators for a awful lot of years and I've never had any problems with either. :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

In that case either will work just fine.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks for the replies. It helps a lot.

Hypothetically, could I substitute either when I require a 100nF capacitor in circumstances other than a voltage regulator?

Reply to
Wayne

No worries. Unless the circuit's critical in relation to capacitance variation with temperature or a couple of other very subtle characteristics, you should be able to interchange them without any problems.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Yes, in all but the most critical cases where the circuit relies upon a some very specific characteristic of the capacitor. Low dropout voltage regulators are one example where the capacitor can be fairly critical (the 7805 is not one of these, so is much more tolerant).

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones