100nF vs. 0.1uF

and the app

that cross at

electrical

laboratory.

they are

you

Why bother to track his IP? He identifies himself in nearly every post, by calling people "retards", by his obsession with fecal matter, and of course by being Always Wrong.

John

Some NNTP servers include 'NNTP posting Host:' when the headers are downloaded, and can be dropped by Nfilter. Then, you don't have to keep up with the pathetic screen names and his obcessions.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

rule, and the app

packages.

that cross at

electrical

laboratory.

they are

you

when you

Dim

out

I block his IP because it's simpler than a filter for each pseudonym.

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

Well, you know, in general one should use the method that "removes all confusion" even when dealing with "professionals" who shouldn't "need" to be told the "proper rules" -- statistically you'll still be better off.

Of course, this does need to be balanced against efficiency as well -- this is why "professional shorthand" develops in the first place: It'd be ridiculous to write out "100 nanofarads" everywhere when "100nF" or even "100n" (or "0.1u", if you like) is sufficient.

Not making things as clear/foolproof as possible is bad engineering; I've given the example before here where it took a lot of arguing with some techs laying out a PCB to not place two identical connectors side by side, even though plugging the wrong cable into the wrong connector would destroy the board; they came back with the "oh, but only trained techs will be assembling these boards, they'd know better than to plug the cables in incorrectly!" ... despite their already having destroy a similar board due to this very problem.

Far too many people seem to think that *not* requiring them to be 100% perfect

100% of the time is in some way questioning their skills or abilities -- which naturally puts them on the defensive -- when in actuality it's just trying to get them to admit that, um, they're humans, and no human is 100% perfect 100% of the time... so why should we ask them to be if we don't have to?
Reply to
Joel Koltner

You're entitled to your opinion...

So long as you approve of it, of course... right?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

e:

ssage

asic rule, and the app

ackages.

wires that cross at

an electrical

ice.

EAL laboratory.

ce, they are

like you

, when you

nces.

of Dim

up a

hat out

If so

IP

Huh. I thought your filters would have trapped this conversation by=20 now. ;-)

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Nah - he's got a secret troll fetish, which is understandable in a rabid neocon.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Not one of you goddamned total retards has ever gotten a single call right.

Your mother was a neocon, you retarded f*ck.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Apparently you do not understand a goddamned thing about them, or you would know that my IP address is NOT under my control, therefore, I cannot "get a new address", as your retarded ass seems to think I can.

So... yeah, your grasp of the English language hovers slightly above nil, f*****ad. That's all an idiot like you is about.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Are you sure those are 1 microohm resistor? Nah, that would use a u ...

Many typewriters do not have a '1' (digit one) key, only the digits

2 through 9 - the typist used (perhaps still uses!) the lower case l (letter L) key for a 1, and O (capital o) for the digit zero (0). I'd like to see the OCR software that correctly converts something typed on such a typewriter. But if "The Singularity" really is near, I might.
Reply to
Ben Bradley

0.1 uf = stand for non polarized capacitor 100nf = stand for polarized capacitor
Reply to
liar2six

I don't think so. The type of capacitor is not imbedded in its value.

Usually the schematic will state "All capacitors in uF unless otherwise stated" so 0.1uF could be written as 0.1.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

I use 1hnF (hecto nF), just to spoof the chinese copycsts

JKOC (Just Kidding Of Course)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

it did seem an odd thing to say. I suppose one could mark the diagram saying that's what it means, but it would be likely to mislead and result in screwups, so not good practice.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nF isn't in my employer's lexicon. The standardized nomenclature is

0.xxu for anything above 10nF and xxxxp for anything less.

I've never seen that convention. How would you label a 100uF polarized cap, "100000nf"? BTW the 'f' should be capitalized in any case.

Reply to
krw

I think most of us use a '+' to denote a polarized capacitor. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It helps show which end is which, too.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ah, good point.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Strange, just a normal SI suffix. The mess is only in the case of kg, since kkg is not a valid designation of 1e3 of kilograms. Is the employer used to the ancient habit of expressing capacity in centimeters? :-)

That's exactly what they do with batteries, I see only 3600mAh instead of just 3.6Ah. On the market the more zeros the better...

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Many years ago, I designed a product which used several non-polarized radial electrolytics. The markings on the case did not have any polarity markings, but did have the outer foil marked with the tradition arrow down one side. Back then, the PCB's were all hand stuffed. Production couldn't figure out which way to insert the capacitor because they couldn't find the "+" mark and didn't see anything on the silk screen to correspond to an outer foil arrow. Their method of de terming the orientation was to insert the lead with the outer foil arrow into the hole OPPOSITE the "+" mark. I was told that this was unlikely to ever change without firing every assembler on the assembly line.

I "solved" the problem by changing the silk screen to include a "+" near both leads. They wanted a "+" sign, so I gave them two. This later drove QA, management, techs and dealers insane, but at least I got the product out the door.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com