multiplexer question

Hello, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a 16 to 1 multiplexer. I need something that can connect 16 individual inputs to

1 output 1 at a time in sequence. But I'm having trouble finding a 16:1 MUX. Also, I ordered some chips from mouser, and some are big enough to stick in my bredboard but a lot of them were real tiny... does anyone know what's up with the real tiny ones? I couldn't find in the name of the chip something that would let me know that it was going to be too tiny to fit in a regular solderless breadboard.

thanks

Reply to
panfilero

The normal approach is to use two 8:1 three-state multiplexers (e.g., 74xx251) and an inverter (e.g., 74xx04).

For 16 inputs, you need four bits to select a particular input. Tie three of those bits to the select lines of both mutliplexers. The the fourth selection signal to the output enable of one multiplexer, and the complement of that signal (formed by an inverter) to the output enable of the other multiplexer.

For a 5V system, unless you are dealing with very fast signals (e.g., faster than 20 MHz), the most common choices for the family would be LS or HCT, or if you are using only CMOS logic (no bipolar), HC.

Those are surface-mount parts, typically in SO, SSOP, or TSSOP packages. Make sure you order DIP package parts instead. Note that many newer chips aren't available in DIP, but 74LS, 74HCT, and 74HC generally are.

The vendors have various suffixes to designate packages. For TI, the "N" suffix is for DIP packages, vs. "D" or "DW" for SO, etc. If you're not sure, the Mouser catalog or web site should indicate which package a part is in, so you can check before you order.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

Or use a 4067 ? Available in 0.6" DIP I use them often. 4 bit, 1>16 or

16>1 with OE.

or latched...

- Steve

Reply to