multiplexer question

Hello, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a 16 to 1 multiplexer. I need something that can connect 16 individual inputs to

1 output 1 at a time in sequence. But I'm having trouble finding a 16:1 MUX. Also, I ordered some chips from mouser, and some are big enough to stick in my bredboard but a lot of them were real tiny... does anyone know what's up with the real tiny ones? I couldn't find in the name of the chip something that would let me know that it was going to be too tiny to fit in a regular solderless breadboard.

thanks

Reply to
panfilero

It would have been helpful for us if you told us what sort of signals you're multiplexing. TTL? CMOS? ECL? Audio-level/frequency analog? RF?

The full device part number usually includes the package type, and the device data sheet always contains packaging information.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

If you are looking for a digital multiplexer at TTL voltage levels, there is a part. But it may be impossible to find these days. You should be able to either make one from a CPLD or you can use a pair of

8 to 1 muxes and use a single inverter to enable/disable the two chips and wire or them.

Actually when I searched on Digikey I found a 16 line multiplexer, MM82C19N, in a 24 pin DIP. Is your problem that it is 0.6 inches wide? You won't find a way around that just because of the pin count. Well, there is the $18 price tag and the $450,000 minimum order... go with the pair of 8 input muxes. :^)

Reply to
rickman

Search for 4067 - made by most logic suppliers in .4000 series, and some in HC/HCT

eg DIP24 packages, are

74HCT4067N = Philips/NXP HEF4067BPN = Philips/NXP

you probably do not want

74HCT4067PW = TSSOP24

Note that it's the suffix letters that (usually) denote the package.

-jg

Reply to
-jg

Look for a PLA with at least 18, probably 20, input pins, and 1 output. That will make it a 24 pin up package (2 power). You should then be able to implement what you want, and many other miscellaneous logics on the same chip. Such programs as CUPL can ease the programming. You might consider using two 16 or 18 pin PLAs.

CBFalconer