is there such a thing?

is there such a thing as a slide or rotary switch that mechanically encodes binary contacts for 6 or 8 bits?

Thanks!

James. :o)

Reply to
James Lehman

Well, it wouldn't have detents, but you could use a rotary encoder wheel and a micro...

I've only seen 4-bit (16 position) binary switches, but that doesn't mean they couldn't exist. 64 or 256 detents might be hard to make mechanically, though...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

From memory, Burns makes (or made) a 7-bit mechanical absolute encoder (128 positions). It used some kind of modified Gray code that could be realized with a circuit board, IIRC. I have a sample of it somewhere.

There are optical absolute encoders with at least 10-bit resolution, but you might not like the price.

Of course, incremental optical or mechanical encoders are inexpensive and easily available.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany