Is there such a thing as a consumer PC / TV device

Hello

We have computers in our home plus a large screen TV. It would be great to be able to have a little keyboard and browse the internet on our large TV screen. How can this be achieved?

If there was a low power, fanless PC I suppose I could simply connect to the TV screen and connect to the network? But I am hoping there are standard offerings. Eg some low power linux based system? But not really bothered about operating system.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Angus

Reply to
Angus

Sure, my RCA 61 DLP has a ethernet jack (RJ45) with a browser in it. I have the keyboard that lets me browse in a separate window if I wish while watching TV in another.. It's kind of cool actually :) It uses IE or a look alike..

I used it to register my TV

"

Reply to
Jamie

Unless it's HDTV, you aren't going to be able to run a standard OS and applications; the resolution is too low.

However, you could run something like WebTV (now MSN TV):

Nobody

No it wouldn't !

The resolution of TVs is hopelessly inadequate for PC use.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On Feb 15, 11:07=A0am, Eeyore wrote: > Angus wrote: > > Hello >

Agreed with standard def TVs but works very well with HDTV as I've been doing this for 4 years but I am using a dedicated PC for the 50" DLP set. Its IS a little odd seeing a Windows desktop 42" wide the first time but pick a nice picture for it. Playing MPEG files across the network is also fine and does not require gigabit LAN though it is nice for moving large (3-15 GB) files more quickly than on a 10/100 link. You might want to check out the folks at

They are much more into this area. Check out this gadget

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Yes, but it depends on factors you have not told us. What type of "large screen TV" do you have? It might be large, but that means nothing. What's the resolution?, what inputs does it have? (e.g. VGA, HDMI, component, S-VIDEO, Composite?)

If you have a Wii you can use that, it can run an Opera based web browser. Not spectacular, but it works.

Yep, plenty of options there. Tell us more first.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Not these days. My 1366x768 pixel LCD TV works pretty well as a 2nd PC monitor. Not ideal of course, but it works fine. Try buying a large TV today that's not at least 1024x768, and without a suitable PC compatible input connection, it ain't easy.

For the OP, it depends not only upon the resolution but the input methods available too.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

The problem with regular TV's are the fonts. It's barely readable and like what the previous posters been saying unless you have an HDTV then its hopeless. If I were you I'll get myself a 22" LCD monitor which is cheap nowadays at $200 or so.

Reply to
Fring

for linux, a playstation2

Reply to