miniature FM receiver - how to?

Apologies if this is the wrong group, or not allowed.

A large time consuming hobby of mine involves sitting on a motorcycle for several hundred miles at a time. I recently switched from a large touring type machine (think Goldwing) to something a little smaller that does not have a built in AM/FM/CD/Tape/CB/FRS/Coffee Maker to something a little lighter, but really miss the background tunes playing through my helmet speakers.

There are many aftermarket systems available to add such capability to bikes that don't have them, but what I'm looking for doesn't seem to exist.

I've already canabalized a pair of Koss earphones and mounted them into my helmet, shortened the cable so that it just barely peaks out of the bottom of the helmet for days when I don't want tunes, and use a 3foot patch cable to an mp3 player on my hip on days that I do.

But that's not what I want to do. Even with the luxo-tourer, the cable from my helmet to the biks was annoying at a minimum. I'd like to go wireless. I'd like to permanently install an FM transmitter (like used to broadcast an Ipod to a car stereo) on the bike, and install a small FM receiver on/in the helmet. However, google has finally failed me in my search for something that already exists that I can use. I'm thinking a small 2x2 or 3x3 box that I can mount on the bottom/base of the helmet, with two 1/8" stereo jacks, one for my helmet, one for a passenger to plug in to (the passenger connection would be nice, but definately not necessary.) It would need to run at a minimum of 4 hours on a 9v or smaller battery, and be fairly resistant to typical motorcycle vibrations. Waterproof not needed, as long as I can unmount it in a hurry. Needs enough volume to be heard, about the same volume level as a standard MP3/Walkman type player would be fine, but louder the better as earplugs should be worn.

Anybody seen or previously built anything that would work? Anybody interested in building this? My experience in electronics invovles plugging in a soldering iron, and that's about it.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've seen plenty of cheap FM receivers. But is it legal to listen to headphones while riding?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Has to be legal somewhere, as they come as standard equipment on several different makes/models of motorcycles.

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Matthieu Benoit

I know it's frowned on while driving. So is it the transmitter that's the problem? Have you looked at a copy of Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

THANK YOU! Using the info from here I found something that I can hack into a usable piece on Ebay in under 5 minutes.

Reply to
Jeff

The speakers are designed to mount into the helmet, they arent earbuds or tight fitting like you would normally wear for an MP3 player, etc. You can still hear the engine, the wind, other traffic, horns, etc, even at full volume, because they do not sit snug on the ear. It is literally background music, identical to having a stereo in a car.

Reply to
Jeff

A while back I got a small FM radio with ear buds at the DollarTree (where everything is just $1). It is auto scanning for stations (press the button to advance the station). Not sure if it is stereo. Runs on 2 AAA batterys. For just $1 I couldn't pass up getting one for tinkering.

Reply to
Si Ballenger