miniature FM receiver - how to?

I also posted this on sci.electronics.components.

Apologies if this is the wrong group, or not allowed.

A large time consuming hobby of mine involves sitting on a motorcycle for several hundred miles at a time. I recently switched from a large touring type machine (think Goldwing) to something a little smaller that does not have a built in AM/FM/CD/Tape/CB/FRS/Coffee Maker to something a little lighter, but really miss the background tunes playing through my helmet speakers.

There are many aftermarket systems available to add such capability to bikes that don't have them, but what I'm looking for doesn't seem to exist.

I've already canabalized a pair of Koss earphones and mounted them into my helmet, shortened the cable so that it just barely peaks out of the bottom of the helmet for days when I don't want tunes, and use a 3foot patch cable to an mp3 player on my hip on days that I do.

But that's not what I want to do. Even with the luxo-tourer, the cable from my helmet to the biks was annoying at a minimum. I'd like to go wireless. I'd like to permanently install an FM transmitter (like used to broadcast an Ipod to a car stereo) on the bike, and install a small FM receiver on/in the helmet. However, google has finally failed me in my search for something that already exists that I can use. I'm thinking a small 2x2 or 3x3 box that I can mount on the bottom/base of the helmet, with two 1/8" stereo jacks, one for my helmet, one for a passenger to plug in to (the passenger connection would be nice, but definately not necessary.) It would need to run at a minimum of 4 hours on a 9v or smaller battery, and be fairly resistant to typical motorcycle vibrations. Waterproof not needed, as long as I can unmount it in a hurry. Needs enough volume to be heard, about the same volume level as a standard MP3/Walkman type player would be fine, but louder the better as earplugs should be worn.

Anybody seen or previously built anything that would work? Anybody interested in building this? My experience in electronics invovles plugging in a soldering iron, and that's about it.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Can't you find something done in Bluetooth that you could easily adapt?

...Jim Thompson

What you can do is use a standard transistor pocket radio, and a small transmitter like you mentioned for the ipod/mp3 players. I don't see why that arrangement wont work. But a must :) is have 2 rabbit ear antennas mounted on top of your helmet. Well really not a must, but would look cool with a green helmet. :)

Reply to
James Thompson

Very small fm radios are available for $10 or less from most chain stores, DSE, Jaycar, etc etc, as are fm xmitters that you can plug a radio or mp3 player etc etc into. Costs are from $10 (I bought one for $9.95 a few weeks ago and it works fine on my GPS) to $50.

So, what you want is readily available, and I would suggest just buy two of the fm radios - one for you and one for passenger - no more cables

David

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

In message , dated Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Jeff writes

That's very surprising. Wireless headphones have been around for quite a while and I'm using a pair at this moment. A Google search for 'wireless headphones' gives 35 million hits, but I notice a dearth of US sites. Are they not allowed in US?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Sony "Sports Walkman" radios are pretty good. I've got an old SR-5 model plays only FM, two AAA batteries, and just about the size and shape of 4 AAA batteries - gasketed to keep out water with O rings on all the controls. Excellent fidelity, good battery life, damn near indestructible, great stereo separation and sensitivity.

There are too many different models out there now - many already built into the headband earphones. Mine came with an armband and was intended to use while jogging.

default

The local "DollarTree" store has small AAA battery powered FM radios with auto scan for $1 including ear buds (also has a built in LED light!).

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Try searching for IR headphones

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In message , dated Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Homer J Simpson writes

I don't think IR headphones would work very well on a motor cycle.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Most people don't ride them in their living rooms either:

"... but I notice a dearth of US sites. Are they not allowed in US?"

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Check this one out.... just what the Dr. ordered

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Some days you\'re the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

In message , dated Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Homer J Simpson writes

This is what the OP asked for:

I'd like to permanently install an FM transmitter (like used to broadcast an Ipod to a car stereo) on the bike, and install a small FM receiver on/in the helmet.

Everybody (except me) has assumed that means broadcast-band transmission. Wireless headphones do it at UHF, and are legal (in Europe, anyway).

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

-- Dave M MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the address)

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant. If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap? Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot. One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me. They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Oops... Forgot to include the transmitter...

Reply to
DaveM

Oops... Forgot to include the transmitter..

Cheers!!!

Dave M MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the address)

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Reply to
DaveM

Looks just like the ones they sell at my local dollar store for a buck!

Reply to
rickman

You wanted a search that gave US hits.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In message , dated Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Homer J Simpson writes

Well, I don't want anything (except the solution to my 3D magnetic field plot simulation that WILL NOT agree with my measurements) (:-(