OT: Heads Up, JawHorse Half Price

I closed up early today because of the rain. When I got home my wife said "your table thing* only cost $69" I ask how's that? She said the day after you got it, I got a $10 off coupon from Lowes in the mail. I took it in with the receipt and they gave my $10 back. I cringe at such things, but I told her good job! Mikek

*Jawhorse
Reply to
amdx

I have a Lowe's "contractor's" account, so I get 5% off in addition ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I LIKE the way she thinks!

This, from a man who spent 3 hours to fix an $8 hair dryer.

Reply to
RobertMacy

She spent more than that on gas and food for that joy ride..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I bought my wife a new hair dryer when confronted with the same situation. ...Jim Thompson

You're lucky!!!! I went to my closest Lowe's store today, along with a copy of the listing for $79.95 from another Lowe's store about twice the distance from home. They would not honor the $79.95 price for me. They told me that the store listing the lower price was closing them out because they weren't selling well. That store only had one in stock. The store I visited had several in stock, and they said that they had sold lots of them to contractors, and weren't about to drop the price. In the end, by the time I got to the cheaper store, someone had beat me to it, and I came home without one.

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

I would do that too! But I would also have the TV, radio or my internet radio going, so I'm not really working, I'm saving money while enjoying my entertainment. My wife has no embarrassment when it comes to getting a discount. I'm in the middle of trying to get a large discount, I bought a frequency generator off Ebay, it was not as advertised. They said it was tested and working, but it doesn't. More than one problem with it. They offered a 40% discount, I said I need 65%, figuring $200 for the repairs, and $80 for the shipping both ways. I'll keep it if they go for the $280 discount, otherwise, it is no deal.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I once had a friend whose wife crashed her car and totaled it. He spent a lot of time searching the internet for an exact replacement. He got her exactly the same car, right down to the color. She was disappointed that she didn't get a different car to drive. :-) He thought he was doing a good thing. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Maybe, I've made that argument on other accounts. But, she didn't even go to the store we purchased it at, we have a Lowe's less than two miles from home, that's where she got the coupon redeemed. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

In the above response I said "My wife has no embarrassment when it comes to getting a discount." At this moment she is at one of the local shopping clubs returning 5 boxes of T shirt bags. Last* year she stocked up on small T shirt bags. Of course she didn't pay the full $13.82 per box, she bought damaged boxes, that run $9.02 to $10.38. While in the store today she found them for sale at $5.01 per box. So, she is returning the 5 boxes and will repurchase 5 new ones at the $5.00 price. This is why the kids and I don't like to go shopping with her, we get embarrassed by this behavior. Oh, she just got home, I helped her carry in the boxes, I was wrong she didn't get 5 new boxes she got 15, because of the low price. It is a nice frugal practice, but... Mikek

  • I know it was last year, I saw her looking through a file to find the receipts.
Reply to
amdx

On the bright side, for half the cost of that unit, you've already had 3 years of service.

Reply to
David Eather

Isn't that want grand-kids are for?

I memember crawling under the back corner of my grandparents house to give a jack a few more twists. Something was settling. I wonder how a full size person got back there to install it.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
Reply to

I show them my VA card, and get their 10% Veteran's discount off anything I buy.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I didn't know that. That's quite nice of Lowe's! ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Fingers Malone get all his stuff free! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I don't want to know any thieves. I'm not a Democrat.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You really know how to hurt a guy. That is cruel name calling.

I'm so conservative, I would even include veterans benefits in government cut backs.

I have a veteran friend that tells me he has received over $1 million dollars in veteran retirement benefits. He also says that doesn't include healthcare payments, which because of the zipper up his chest, have been considerable. I'm for an across the board cut in all government expenditures.

2% every year for 5 years would be a good start. If under Obama, the real median household income dropped $2,627?or 4.89 percent?from 2008 to 2012*. Why should government wages go up. Oh! sorry, but you started it. :-) Mikek

  • it's worse now. (2014)

Reply to
amdx

My VA Disability is $1046 a month, and that isn't retirement pay. I am allowed no other income, at all. Even one dollar income would cost me my medical care and that tiny pension. I don't know any Veteran who got a million dollars, unless they won a lawsuit. It's damned near impossible to win a lawsuit against the VA. Tell me how long you could survive on $1046 a month? My 1979 pickup truck is falling apart. It needs more in repairs than it cost, eight years ago. I have three leaking roofs, and a bad tank on my well. The pump kicks on three times to get one quart of water. Do you know what that will do to the pump? My pension went up about 1% per year, and only some years. You're ignoring the guarantee they give people entering the service of medical care and disability benefits, in exchange for lower monthly pay while on active duty, or in the reserves. Whine all you want, I'll consider the source. $2,627 would be a 21% reduction for me.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Let's start with the source. I'm 59 and I see the government is in debt for 8 times the yearly total tax income. I see it takes 90% of the yearly total tax income to pay for just the entitlements programs. I think we (government officials) have promised to much to to many for to long. We have governments, city, county, state and federal that have promised money to people that they don't have. They just figure it is future taxpayers problems. Private corporations have also over promised future benefits, to be paid by future workers, then when that fails, if your workers are represented by a big union, you will be bailed out by the taxpayers. Obamacare will add enough to the entitlements that soon entitlements will take over 100% of all federal taxes collected. My wife and I have earned less than the median income over our 32 years marriage and have lived very frugally and saved a great amount. I'm pretty confident the government will find a way to attack my savings that 65% of the population could also have, if they lived like my family. They had the option to live like my family but chose to spend and live paycheck to paycheck. I'm sure I will pay a penalty because I saved for the future. The government has just got into to many vote buying programs. It needs to stop. Stop giving away other peoples money. I didn't suggest you take a 21% income cut, I said the median household income dropped $2,627 or 4.89%. If you took a 4.89% cut that would be $617.00. At your income, you qualify for several other government programs. As far as my vet friend collecting $1 million, all I know is what he said. I have no clue about how much retirement pay is for 20 years or 30 years of service. If I assume he started at 18 and retired at 38 with 20 years of service and he is now 72. He has collected for 34 years, if he average $20,000 for 34 years that $680,000. So Your right it doesn't sound right. But I don't know military pensions. If he averaged $30,000, that is over $1 million. I'll have to gently slide into a conversation about his retirement and see if I can get some more info. If I lived close to you, I'd fix your pump problem, years ago I ruined a lawn watering pump, because it cycled on and off and over heated the capacitor. I'm highly aware of how my pump runs now, this one is now 17 years old and still working fine. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

At 62, a military pension converts to Social Security. Just like my VA disability pension will do in a few months. I seriously doubt he was getting $30,000 a year when he retired, unless he was a 'Seven star General'. If he retired, his healthcare would be 'Tricare for Life' which they have to pay for co-pays and other charges.