OT: Heads Up, JawHorse Half Price

Went into Lowe's today to get a work light and spotted this...

Half price... I paid full price ~3 years ago :-(

One of the most useful devices I've ever bought. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

So that's how you miniaturize your circuits.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

No, I use it for torturing pompous assholes ;-)

Makes the foot into a third hand so you can position and tighten simultaneously. I love it! And it folds flat! ...Jim Thompson

I thought maybe he was working on a compression algorithm..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I see the price as $159. Model # RK9003, 37 in clamp

Is that the sale price?

For those that can wait, Amazon has it at $130, with free shipping.

Just to confuse things, There is a Model # RK 9002 49in clamp $204 and a Model # RK 9000 $167 Incorporates a wheel Model # RK 9109 Plywood Jaw Accessory Attachment Extends to 52 inches. $79 Mikek

Reply to
amdx

--

Here's a different brand; appears to be identical functionality, size and
specs for $79.99 + $5.00 shipping (today only).

Dave M
Reply to
Dave M

Where exactly is "here?"

Dave, it appears that prefacing your reply with "--" puts your reply in the signature section as seen on some newsreaders (I'm using T-bird).

Reply to
RosemontCrest

$79.50 at Lowe's...

Your "Just to confuse things" are the larger versions... some can handle a sheet of plywood or drywall. ...Jim Thompson

Oh! the link keeps coming up $159, no sale price. Such a deal, I'll check my local store for that price. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Maybe it's store-specific... my page does say, "Your store: Gilbert, AZ" ...Jim Thompson

Oops!! I had the link in the clipboard, but guess I hit Send before I remembered to paste it into the message.

Here it is:

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

That's a different brand (PortaMate), mine is Rockwell (as is the one on sale at Lowe's)... but it looks the same. ...Jim Thompson

It may be, I went to my local store and they had a shelf marked clearance $79.50, but no stock. They checked the computer and another store about 8 miles away had four. So I drove out there, that store had it marked $159, after a little, see the store manager, call the other store verify $79.50, ok with store manager, tell cashier about special price, I got one for $79.50. :-) Thanks, Jim. My wife was so happy I saved $80, that she didn't notice I spent $80.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

So the question is, WHO got conned ?:-} Doesn't your wife buy like that all the time ?:-)

You'll just love the jawhorse, it's so easy to use. ...Jim Thompson

How did you know? She is a sale/coupon hound. I'm glad we don't have more room, she would buy more stuff on sale and fill it. We have a few items I think were bought only because they were on sale, but over all, I know she has saved 10s of thousands of dollars.

Ya, my usual cutting spot is sticking out the door of my shed, the floor is 12" to 14" of the ground so it gives some clearance. But I'm looking forward to the Jawhorse holding my piece firm and by up where I'm standing. One of these days I'm going to replace my 30 year old skill saw, it works fine but from day one it has had a vibration. I didn't realize it until my dad used it and complained. Now I notice it every time I use it. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Skil Model 77 perhaps? Fix or rebuild it, don't replace it. I've fixed about five of them. They're quite easy.

There should not be much vibration. On which axis does it vibrate? Blade or motor? My guess(tm) is:

  1. The motor armature shaft is slightly bent causing the vibration,
  2. The armature wasn't properly balanced.
  3. Defective bearing(s) at the motor end of the armature.
  4. The threaded connection between the armature and the worm gear might be loose and wobbling.

May as well also replace the electrical parts, which tend to wear or break: If you're going to be doing a rebuild, there are plenty of other parts that can be commonly found and easily replaced. Be sure to identify the exact model as there are several variations.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It's always worth going to the TOP store manager and explain how there is a disparity, usually between website and local price, sometimes between other sources and their store.

For example, I needed a TV mount with tilt and swivel to hold a normal sized TV. Website price for mount was $49.98. Over the next three days of f**(#@$^&* around with their website AND calling and either getting hung up on, or tracked all over in uncontrollable voice menus and finally reaching website people who said their systems weren't working call in another day, or I can't get that to pull up either; I went to the local Walmart and explained to the TOP manager the frustrations just been going through. Their store had s functionally similar mount priced at $98.99 !! He explained store and website are separate entities. I explained had the SAME name, therefore ARE the same company as seen by the public. In view of the frustrations I had been going through, I asked for the store item to be priced at the web price. Even though, the store item was NOT the same item AND was built much better, he very kindly set up for me to buy the instore item AT the website price! Thus, I'm one happy camper and continue to spend way too much at Walmart.

Long way to go, but the point is, ASK, ASK, ASK. If you DON'T ask, you will never get what you want.

And of course BE SPECIFIC in any request and assure them how happy it would make you to have your request honored. You'd be surprised how accomodating they become. Put yourself in their shoes.

And one more thing, TRUE authority is saying, "Yes". If the person you're talking to says, "No"; you're NOT talking to someone with authority, so go up the chain. Sometimes, helps to ask first whether they have the authority to make what you want to happen, else you can spend a long time only to repeat to another. And, worse, sometimes they transfer their NO up the chain and the top guy HAS to say no or insult his employee, so be careful showing your cards early. In other words, first get to the person who has the authority BEFORE laying out your request.

Reply to
RobertMacy

My wife bought me one of those 'tiny' saws from Rockwell [remember the good experience with the 3Rill?] It's small like 3 inch diam blades, hand held, has that slopey retractable safety strut on the front. I have a table saw AND a hand held [7 inch ? blade] saw and NOTHING, except almost the store's service for cutting, makes such a straight easy to do cut! The full cut across the 4 foot width edge was within 32nd and usually 1/64th tolerances along the edge Easily shaped with sandpaper.

Set the blade's depth to just clear through the wood and you only have to set the wood on a 'cuttable' surface and you can make one simple, straight cut!. Except, really have to plan ahead to make certain power cord reaches WITHOUT pulling your hand off straight, but everyone knows to do that.

I'm really impressed.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I'll look into the Brand/Model. I used skill saw, like Kleenex, however improper that may be.

Reply to
amdx

I still shop Lowes first, just because when my son was in cub scouts, they donated paint for our new pinewood derby track. It's been 10 years ago, but the loyalty has stuck. I built the trip lite sensor to detect the winner of the three tracks. Worked great saved some arguments and rematches. btw, I did buy some 4" x 36" sanding belts at Home Depot for $5.97 vs $11.00 at Sears and Lowes. The are Diablo brand, I used them, so far, I think I like them better than the Sears brand. I don't know why the they were marked low, all the other, smaller belts were more then the larger size. I half expected to get to the cash register and find they were $11.

Reply to
amdx