Klik & gEDA

I have been hearing a lot about Klik for Linux and see that most of the gEDA tools are in the repository. Doesn't look like the gEDA team maintains it though. Will this change, or is it not a problem?

Dave,

Reply to
Dave Boland

Dave Boland wrote: : I have been hearing a lot about Klik for Linux and see that : most of the gEDA tools are in the repository. Doesn't look : like the gEDA team maintains it though. Will this change, : or is it not a problem?

Ummm, I just checked this out, since I am nominally a member of the "gEDA team".

This "Klik" thing you are talking about is some kind of Linux package aggregator based in Germany. Here's the Klik website for EDA stuff:

It looks like the folks behind this thing go out and pull software packages from wherever they find them, and stick them onto klik.de for third parties to download. They also stick Google ads onto their website which are germaine to the stuff they offer for download. I guess this qualifies as a "business model".

The Kilk folks are welcome to do that with the gEDA stuff, of course, since it's GPLed. However, their activities are waaaay outside the control of any of the "gEDA team", so we can't guarantee anything about the freshness of the packages they proffer. The real gEDA website, which holds the latest and greatest of this well-known open-source EDA toolset was, is, and will remain here:

You are welcome to download gEDA from wherever you wish. However, it is incumbant upon you, the downloader, to make sure that you know what you are downloading, and to be aware of whether it is fresh or not.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Brorson

The point I was getting to was that the Klik stuff is advertising for a maintainer for the gEDA programs. I know that you already have a lot to do, but it may be worth the effort to maintain these files so you have control.

Dave,

Reply to
Dave Boland

Dave Boland wrote: : The point I was getting to was that the Klik stuff is : advertising for a maintainer for the gEDA programs. I know : that you already have a lot to do, but it may be worth the : effort to maintain these files so you have control.

Thanks. Good point. I'll post a message to the geda-user list.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Brorson