"footprints" in gEDA / PCB und Simulation mit Spice

Hallo zusammen,

nach einigen Startschwierigkeiten habe ich es jetzt geschafft, einen mit gschem gezeichneten Schaltplan nach PCB zu exportieren. Gibt es eigentlich eine Liste von "footprints", die man in gschem als Attribut setzen kann, und die dann von PCB erkannt werden? Das wuerde die Sache erheblich beschleunigen, da ich nicht besonders bewandert bin, wie man jetzt das Gehaeuse eines 100uF-Elkos nennt, bzw welche Gehaeuseformen da ueberhaupt in Frage kommen.

Ausserdem wuerde mich interessieren, wie ich unter Linux mit gschem am einfachsten eine Simulation auf die Beine stellen kann. Sind die diversen Implementationen von Spice (LTspice/ngspice) die beste Wahl?

Vielen Dank und viele Gruesse,

Enno

--
Remove "REMOVE_ME" for PM replies
Reply to

"Enno Middelberg" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Hallo Enno, ja, nach Aussage von Stuart Brorson der aktiv an gEDA mitarbeitet.

Ich habe dir mal ein paar Messages aus sci.electronics.cad angehängt. Thread: pspice vs ngspice vom 12.3.2005

Gruß Helmut

--------------------- Helmut Sennewald wrote: [ . . . . snip!. . . .] : You should try LTspice. It is similar in features to PSPICE, but it's : totally free and unlimited regarding circuit size.

: LTSPICE can be downloaded from here: :

SwitcherCAD = LTspice

: The user group for LTspice: :

I use and love LTSpice on my Windoze box at work, so I have no argument with your LTSpice advertisement. Howver, it does merit pointing out that ngspice is *also* totally free for download, and unlimited w.r.t. circuit size. Moreover, in contrast to LTSpice, ngspice is open-source, meaning that students can see the code, play with it, and modify it if they want.

Finally, the OP apparently is running gEDA on Linux (look at his screen shots), and generating SPICE netlists with it for ngspice. That may explain why he is running ngspice, since it is Linux native. Yes, LTSpice does run on Linux under wine, but it's not a Linux native program.

It's great to see the gEDA stuff being used by students!

Stuart

-------------------- David Logan wrote: : That's absolutely right. I'm running Linux, which is why I'm using geda : (which doesn't work so well), gschem, gnetlist and ngspice.

It's good to see that you are using gEDA, bad to hear that it's not working so well.

Since I'm one of the folks working on it, perhaps you could help us out a little bit. When you say "[it] doesn't work so well", please list two or three specific things which you think don't work well. Specific bug reports provide us with things to work on; therefore I'd be interested in hearing about the top two or three complaints you have about gEDA.

[. . . . snip . . . .]

: 2) The linux software is seriously lacking in documentation, so I figure : as I learn how to use pspice, I will simultaneously learn how to use the : Linux tools.

There is some truth to this, but have you looked in your ${GEDA_INSTALL_DIR}/share/doc/geda-doc directory? There's lots of stuff there. Also, for gEDA/SPICE specific info you can look here:

For ngspice commands, many people use this reference:

Finally, posting questions on the geda-user mailing list is a good way to get help if you have problems with the software. The mailing lists are here:

: But my ultimate goal is be an electronics expert using Linux tools.

Welcome abord!

------------------- David Logan wrote: : Thanks for all of that. I will review the links you gave. In all : fairness, I suspect part of the problem I consider the documentation : insufficient is because I don't yet know how to use electronics : modelling software in general yet, and Linux software package : documentation is usually lacking, especially for complicated software.

: I have a question with before I give my replies. The question is: When : you say you are interested in hearing about gEDA, does that mean just : gEDA, or does also mean gschem, gnetlist and ngspice?

Aaah, I see part of the problem already.

gEDA = The gEDA project. This includes gschem, gnetlist, ngspice, and so on.

geda = The gEDA project's project manager. An unfortunate choice for it's name, but we're saddled with it now. A better name might have been "gmanager" or something like that. Oh well.

: gEDA itself is crashing on me when I try to do certain things, so I quit : using gEDA, and was just using the individual tools.

You mean the project manager "geda" crashed on you, right? I don't use the project manager at all & instead use the individual tools. Geda (the project manager) is old, and hasn't been updated recently. It might have some bugs.

The core tools "gschem", "gnetlist", and "gattrib" are under constant developement, as are several of the other smaller utilities. They tend to be bug-free, and very functional (except for gattrib, which awaits some features related to net and pin attributes).

: If you are : interested in specifics (regardless of the answer to the above : question), show me the forum to post the bugs and the forum to post the : whines, and I will be happy to do so.

Mailing lists:

Bug reports:

(click through to "jitterbug")

: By the way, I have been a professional programmer for about 15 years, : just so you know a bit of my background.

Cool! Any interest in hacking gEDA?

Stuart

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald