geda/gschem setup problems

geda Problem :

When I open a schematic I am getting on the status bar Did not find optional gschemrc and gafrc file....

Where are these files ?

The system does pick up the system-gschemrc file from share/gEDA/sym/

gschem Problem: I am using the components from gschem and want to add my models. When I query the component I do not see "model" and "model-name" attributes to my model.

I using the transistor from the analog library.

Thanks

-Rahul

Reply to
rahul

: geda Problem :

: When I open a schematic I am getting on the status bar : Did not find optional gschemrc and gafrc file....

: Where are these files ?

: The system does pick up the system-gschemrc file : from share/gEDA/sym/

Some RC files are optional, some are mandatory:

system-gafrc -- mandatory system-gschemrc -- mandatory

user's gafrc -- optional. NOrmally in $HOME user's gschemrc -- optional. Normally in $HOME

local gafrc -- optional. Normally in local direcctory local gschemrc -- optional. Normally in local directory.

The files are set correctly when you install gEDA. The user and local gafrc files are optional files for you to create if you wish. If you don't create them, no problem.

If gschem runs when you start it up, and you can get to all components in the libraries, thne you are fine. The warning you see is just a warning.

: gschem Problem: : I am using the components from gschem and want to : add my models. When I query the component I do not : see "model" and "model-name" attributes to my : model.

You need to enter these attribute names manually. Type them into the appropriate spot in the attribute editor.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Brorson

Wow this is cool. I have been using PCB (the layout program for some time now under Solaris).

Having problems building GSCHEM under that environment so I installed the Windows port from

2002

Is that what you guys are using? Did you build more recent ports?

Nice to know others are using these open source programs. I did a 2 layer board with PCB last month ... I have a 4 layer board planned for the next few months

Reply to
him

actually there is a recent release which you can burn on a CD and it auto configs and compiles/installs. I haven't tried to build it under Solaris or Cygwin, but use it under Linux.

I think the most recent version is 20050329.

I have been using PCB on SunOS/Solaris/Linux for almost 10 years now and have several 2, 4 and a 5/6 layer board. It has been getting better and better over the years.

I just completed my first completely gEDA based design, a 2-layer USB programming dongle for Rabbit microprocessor. The design is mostly SMD parts (0805 and QFP32) and I even used the autorouter in PCB. I had to touch up some traces from the autorouter. They were functionally correct and passed DRC, they just didn't look "pretty" enough.

I haven't tried this; PCB understands size attributes in the netlist (like Power,Signal,Skinny, etc...). I haven't figured out how to set the attributes in gschem and whether/if gsch2pcb can understand and generate them.

Other than that, it's very very very nice to be able to do this all under Linux. I used to have to switch to windows for part of my toolchain.

See ya, -ingo

--
/* Ingo Cyliax, cyliax@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */
Reply to