Is this possible?

Is this is possible?

I just had a client request a +1V supply (a switcher) that SINKS

200mA.

I only have +5V available :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You didn't specify what the 1 volt is, input? output? etc.. but here is something

that will output starting at .8 volts but needs supply voltage of

2.7.. 5.5v
Reply to
Jamie

Modern DRAMs often need termination. Since they have a lot of signals, it's less power overall if you terminate to the target voltage and that requires a regulator that can sink as well as source.

There should be lots of data sheets out there.

I assume you don't need to make a switcher that can pump the power back up to 5V rather than just turn it into heat.

Hal Murray

Simple. Any 1V supply chip, and just load it with 5 ohm, so it can sink 200ma and source (Ispecified-200ma).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Wierd. A CC 200mA load across the supply? Maybe switched in or out depending on whether the +1 supply is on or off?

Please post how you solve it, if the NDA allows. Inquiring minds want to know! :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

That doesn't say whether this switcher will work in two quadrants (current source plus current sink).

"Source" is typical verbage for a power supply spec. So Jim's customer either used bad terminology in the spec or they really want something to sink current. I understand the confusion. I'd look over the spec for an additional 'source' specification. If none is found, I'd go back to the customer for clarification.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

s:

Linear Tech has a number of DDR2/3 switchers for termination supplies that can sink and source...

|bus_termination

-- Marc

Reply to
Marc Guardiani

As somebody else mentioned, these types of supplies that guarantee that they can sink (as well as source) are used for mid-supply memory terminations. They're referred to as "VTT" or "termination" supplies.

Here's a table of LT termination switchers. They are overkill.

If you can convince the customer to use a linear (it is fairly low current) then the TI TPS51100 will work. You'll just need to fake a 2V supply because its output is half of the reference supply.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to