what exactly is a flux capacitor?

what exactly is a flux capacitor, and why does my watch run backward when I reverse the magitic field?

Reply to
kael

It is a tool that WE use to flush out utter idiots. It currently indicates that you made the list.

Reply to
FatBytestard

especially when it contains 1.21 GigaWatts of power. MARTY, do you know what that means? Loved the "back to the future" movies.

Reply to
Oppie

A cheap Hollywood movie prop.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FOFLMAO >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Tim

Tim Williams

So then you can realign the field coils.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

It's a device that stores pseudo science, interpretations, speculation, vendor hype, environmental politics, and general rubbish. The flux accumulates until it is discharged into this newsgroup.

The reason your watch is running backwards is that Dec 21, 2012 is rapidly approaching, when the Mayan calendar ends and possibly runs backwards. Check if you have the date set too far ahead, or possibly to 2038, when the Unix 32 bit clock will do much the same thing. Otherwise, try winding your timepiece in the other direction.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Les Cargill
Reply to
Les Cargill

It's two metal plates, with the intermediate space filled with rosin. Duh...

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Amusingly, saying that a charged capacitor sitting in a magnetic field "has 1.2 gigawatts" isn't that far fetched, at least if you're a fields guy.

The Poynting vector S is ExH times some constant that depends on whether you're a go-with-the-flow SI weenie or a right-thinking Gaussian units diehard.

Poynting's theorem says that the surface integral of S dot (n hat) over a closed surface gives the power flow out of the enclosed region, but it's commonly assumed that the Poynting vector itself gives the local power flow density.

This works okay for many purely AC problems. The amusing part is when you take a charged capacitor and put it in a DC field. You can make ExH take a very high value, when no power is actually flowing whatsoever. So a capacitor in a magnetic field could "have 1.2 gigawatts" in a certain sense.

Of course the only time travel involved is harking back to the days when Gaussian units were more popular. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Its a highly technical dumbass detector - and you just made the light flash.

Reply to
Ian Field

Are you saying that he is a highly technical dumbass, or that the detector is highly technical, and detects dumbasses? :-)

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

That information is commercially sensitive.

Reply to
Ian Field

ge

1:59:46 GMT, kael wrote:

hat

Why would it only be 1.21 GigaWatts? If it's a 1 farad cap charged to

2 volts, discharging into a nanaohm resistance, wouldn't it be more than that?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

11:59:46 GMT, kael wrote:

Prove it !

Reply to
hamilton

ssage

ly

w what

P = E^2 / R = 4 / 1 E-9 = 4 GigaWatts. E=2 and R = 1 nanaohm.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Don't you mean JigaWatts!!!!

Reply to
Mac Decman

11:59:46 GMT, kael wrote:

You might need an Interociter to compute the number.

Reply to
FullMettleJacket

Well, I wouldn't want to buy one if it only detected one type of dumbass.

If you were a sales person, that would be followed by "dumbass'.

First have to see some dumbass who has one before he even tries to use it and set it off. ;-P

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox