How can I analyse my Comparator?

I have designed a new simple CMOS differential comparator. Now, I'm required to provide its Analysis but I don't know where to start. What are standard methods for Analysis of a Comparator? Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris

Reply to
ntyangiri

Pay attention in class ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

There is no class, Don't be rude. Thats why I'm asking here about the standard methods for Analysis of a Comparator. If you give me a simple answer you could be of help. Look I never had good access to classes as you might have had. BTW I live in far East

Reply to
Chris

Is it an ANALOG comparator - compares two analog voltage?

Or is it DIGITAL comparator - compares two digital words?

...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the question. It is an Analog CMOS comparator.. I have been using WinSpice(and Hspice) to observe its operation and it works fine. Now I want to write an academic paper about it. But before I do that I thought its better to ask experienced people how should I analyse it. I have been looking for a reference on Comparator Analysis but I haven't found any.

...Chris

Reply to
Chris

What does "works fine" mean? If the comparison voltage is accurate and the speed is what you want, then you are done.

"Academic paper"? Bwahahahahahaha!

You're way ahead of yourself. How can you write an "academic paper" when you don't understand what you have?

...Jim Thompson

Step 1 : Go to silicon. Step 2 : ???? Step 3 : Profit!

Reply to
Rob Gaddi

Go read several datasheets for CMOS comparators. Write a datasheet for your part based on your simulation results.

If any parameters in your part are far better than those in existing comparators, those parameters might suggest a good title for your thesis.

Example: "Designing a high-speed/low threshold comparator in CMOS," or "Designing an ultra-wide common mode comparator in CMOS."

If you find that your comparator doesn't excel in any way, then call it a "simple low-cost" comparator.

By the way, how is it that you have Hspice, but you don't have anyone to talk to about this?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Thanks Mac, Your advice will be very helpful. I'm an exchange student in Japan, So I have a little language problem. That's why I find it difficult to ask the Professors here,I have been granted access to Hspice at one University here. I think its good to know how/what experienced people as well as my peers are doing in this field. But I find myself mostly a loner around here.That's why I thought Google will help me. Thanks again, Chris

Reply to
Chris

As a starting point, I'd suggest looking for an application note (aka App Note) that discusses analog comparators and their figures of merit. The app notes generally have a short discussion on theory, then work in the real world details (i.e. bw, current and voltage offsets due to temp, noise effect, etc.) At least that way you will get an idea about the parameters of importance. Get and review data sheets on some low-end and high-end comparators and look at their test schematics to see how they arrive at their performance parameters...apply the same (or adapt as necessary) to test your ckt, and then write it up. For starters, check National Semiconductor, TI, Analog Devices, Linear.... Good luck John

Chris wrote:

Reply to
John Hudak