Starting out

Hey all,

I need some help getting started. I really want to get into embedded programming, but I don't know where to start. I have a lot electrical and coding experience so that's not a problem. Anyone have any advice, links, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

TW Burger

The Embedded Systems site, already mentioned, gets another endorsement.

You may also want to check

It is an AVR site but there are many articles of a wider applicability.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Depends what you mean by "embedded". One possible low cost starting point is to use an old PC, get hold of FreeDOS and perhaps CTask, and go from there. Work your way up to ecos later.

The other end is to get hold of one of the vanishingly low cost PIC starter borads, e.g. the 23 quidsworth from Farnell, and plough through the examples.

Set yourself a project, perhaps one that will make you some money later, or at least will be useful to someone if put in the public domain.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Zilog has a nice starter kit for their eZ8, only $50. Comes with a C compiler too. See

The board comes with peripherals so you can play around a bit with I2C and SPI devices. There's also an IrDA transceiver so you could play around with that. Hooks up to a PC under Windows.

Reply to
Gary Kato