Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

STRUGGLING retailers want to spoil consumers' post-GFC party and put a tax on overseas spending.

With new research showing half of all Australians now shop online overseas, retailers have approached the Federal Government to wind back the GST threshold on overseas goods from $1000 to $400 or even abolish the limit altogether.

Their latest push will target independents holding the balance of power in Federal Parliament, the Courier-Mail reports.

And read the 400+ comments that have been posted already:

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If it wasn't for the net we'd be paying even more in shops for many items.

Retailers have been forced to peg their prices to compete with the net.

I doubt it would be cost effectiive for the Govt to examine and determine tax on every small item that comes into the country - hence the existing structure. Then again I've sold stuff to Germany and they do it.

Lets see what these red hot independents can fathom out - I just hope they buy stuff off the net.

Reply to
me here

Retailers want it all there own way. They don't pass on the margins of the improved AUD. Maybe there needs to be another stimulus package to prop up the retailers.

One instance is printer inks Epson cartridges at $350 ea - US price $250 or HK $250 freight is cheaper from HK.

Another example is cameras (one particular Digital SLR) Australian wholesaler RRP $4800 inc GST street price $3600 online Aust shop $2300.

Who's fooling who????

Reply to
Rob

add all the govco impost which basically double the cost here is still cheaper so there is a fishy smell in Denmark

--
Reply to
atec77

Yep, same thing with glow plugs I just ordered for my diesel ute engine.

Genuine part $37 each Motormate Aust - Bosch $22 each UK Ebay shop - Denso $11 each (delivered to your door).

They are all basically the same and the genuine part is actually Bosch.

You need 4 so the savings are substantial.

So who's making all the money and crying poor?

Bloody rip off merchants.

Reply to
me here

x on overseas spending.

s, retailers have approached the Federal

$400 or even abolish the limit altogether.

n Federal Parliament, the Courier-Mail reports.

Just take a look at the stuff we all buy on this group - electronic components. (Note, not taking a swipe at Dontronics or anyone else on here)

Compare Mouser etc to Farnell/RS/ etc for the same items.

Some of the stuff isn't greatly different like common IC's in bulk, but for other items there can be huge differences.

I could mention several times personally with purchasing device programmers etc, there is a world of difference in price.

Reply to
kreed

Sounds fair enough to me except that it won't work because the sellers always value the item at $2 for customs.

It's good to see the retailers squirm, they quite often make more profit than the manufacturers per item yet provide little value (surely actually making something should be valued higher than simply selling it).

Reply to
Mickel

Tell us about Woolworths and the farmers then!

How come you can buy overseas for less from a retailer and pay their tax (sales/state etc).

Reply to
Rob

Sad maybe, but the most cursory look at human commerce through the ages shows that that often isn't the case. People in the middle of the distribution chain tend to do better, and sometimes for lesser effort. One factor might be that they are primarily focussed on making dough, instead of building a wonderful widget.

Reply to
Noodnik

There is a good deal of inequity in prices I needed some batteries 18dcb2 for a cordless . local price is $165 each Importing from the US I bought two delivered for $145.00 to my door from the manufacturer wtf ?

--
Reply to
atec77

value the item at $2 for customs.

Customs doesnt have to accept that valuation.

actually making something should be valued

Reply to
Rod Speed

You normally dont pay their sales/state taxes, those arent usually charged on exports.

Reply to
Rod Speed

exports.

Just expanding on what I said - If your overseas and buying items from shop fronts and paying sales and state tax the price is still cheaper to start with than here. Thats a full retail sale.

As an example ASICS GEL-Kayano Running Shoe $140USD here $260AUD both these prices include all taxes in the respective countries. Not quoting them as a exported/imported item.

Reply to
Rob

"Rob"

** Fraid it is importers that set the prices for such goods - not retailers - and they set each price at what will give them the best return under local conditions of competition.

Overseas markets may have more or less competition than here an sometimes prices vary wildly as a result.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Rob wrote

on overseas spending.

Federal Parliament, the Courier-Mail

always value the item at $2 for customs.

(sales/state etc).

exports.

tax the price is still cheaper to start

Like I said, you normally dont pay their sales/state taxes, those arent usually charged on exports.

Like I said, you normally dont pay their sales/state taxes, those arent usually charged on exports.

prices include all taxes in the

Not with exported or out of state sales they arent.

It has to be exported/imported to 'buy from overseas'

Reply to
Rod Speed

**In almost all cases, it is the importer who cops the lion's share of currency shift profits. Retail, in general, is a very low profit business. Naturally, there are standouts, but, in the main, they are products whose retail prices are tightly (and possibly illegally) controlled.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

And often the service you recieve in Australia is pisspoor as well, so we can't be paying extra for that.

Reply to
Clocky

tax on overseas spending.

in Federal Parliament, the Courier-Mail

always value the item at $2 for customs.

(sales/state etc).

on exports.

tax the price is still cheaper to start

usually charged on exports.

usually charged on exports.

prices include all taxes in the

Thats correct

I'm quoting physically buying overseas. As in travel to another country and buying from a shop front paying local and state taxes.

Reply to
Rob

The retailers can get screwed.

I routinely bring in gear WITH GST paid from overseas that is cheaper than buying it locally. Sometimes obscenely cheaper. No really, I'm talking upwards of many hundreds of dollars and I have to really wonder who is keeping it all.

If the retailers think GST on overseas purchases applied globally will encourage local purchases, well, good luck with that.

If they want to play that game, bring it on.

--
Ninety per cent of everything is crap.
Reply to

Usually the wholesalers - importers.