SCOTUS Sales Tax Ruling Makes it Hard to Buy Parts Overseas

With the new Supreme Court ruling even Alibaba is collecting sales tax. I'm trying to talk to them about a sales tax exemption form and they seem to have no means of dealing with that.

It seems that while they are required to collect the tax as a "facilitator", they have no means of accepting a sales tax exemption form and not charging the tax when the goods bought are for production of products for resale.

Too bad the Supreme Court didn't include that in their decision.

To be honest, I'm not sure why a business in a foreign country is obligated to collect a US state sales tax. It is one thing to require a company in another state to do so, but what leverage do they have over foreign companies???

As part of this I found that Aliexpress is not for selling around the world exactly, just anywhere outside of China! Go figure!!!

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Have you seen this on your AliExpress payments? The Trump Chinese tariffs seem hidden from view, unless I specify DHL shipping, and it's transparently added to the shipping bill. But they do show explicitly on my Digi-Key shipments.

Harvard is always insisting that I avoid paying a sales tax, but WTF, we benefit greatly from the state's activities on our behalf, why not help out a little bit? Sheesh!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That is definitely circular reasoning.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Harvard U, that well-known bastion of progressive politics, lol. I hear they did eventually become fully co-educational around 1999 after 84 years

Reply to
bitrex

In the early 70s young Harvard men were known to attend a speech by the female president of Radcliffe, not because they were particularly interested in what she had to say but they'd never heard a woman talk before and were unsure if females had that capability from a biological perspective.

Reply to
bitrex

I think that story is a bunch of bullshit. I was at Harvard from 1965 until 1972, 65 hours a week, and didn't witness any such thing. We had lots of female students and scientists around, including one PhD in our group. She was rather attractive, but a few years older than me, and married.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Duh!?