GPS GSM tracking system

Hi there,

I am looking for a GPS-GSM tracking system.

There are a few on the market however no one seems keen on selling the unitis without their expensive monitiring service.

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Prefer NZ however Aus is OK.

Thanks

John

Reply to
Yep

Have a look at

and buy one of their Trac units. It can be set to send the GPS co-ordinates at specified intervals to a server via GPRS.

I have created my own GPRS/GPS tracking system using an older version of this product. What you need is a GPS/GPRS module, a GPRS data SIM card (data plans give you GPRS for < 0.5c per kB compared to 2c per kB or timed for normal plans), and a computer with a fixed IP address.

The computer IP address and port is programmed into the unit, and the unit is set to send GPS information every 5mins. A program on the computer listens on the port, and logs the GPS data.

If you do not have a fixed IP address I think there are some services out there that will provide one, redirected to you.

How much are you looking to spend? At a guess the Trac unit will cost you

150+ pounds and the GPRS data plan around $10 per month. I have a simple logging program that you could use, but any TCP logger should be fine.

Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

I thought that this just offered a fixed domain name, which then resolves to your variable IP address. Worthless if you can't do a DNS lookup from the GPRS.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

You could use this as a query site to obtain the IP of the computer at the time.

You used to be able to obtain a fixed IP through them, and install a small prog on computer that registers your IP every time you connect to the net, and every hour or so.

Probably have to pay for a fixed IP now. Was free once.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Further to that, yes it was fixed IP to variable IP not fixed domain to variable IP.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Try

Garmin GPS 18 and interface. Plugs into a mobile phone, receives SMS and sends a return SMS to give location of phone.

Regards

John

Reply to
John

This looks like it might be the right tool for the Job.

Thanks John

John

Reply to
Xnet