Dick Smith

It's so sad to see this store go.  It was a niche store where you knew you
could pick some items that the big electrical stores didn't have.

What's the bet some small privately owned electronics stores will start
opening up?

Re: Dick Smith

might differ from store to store
They seemed to concentrate on computers and they had good prices and
someone seemed around to help
Everywhere else in store which was pretty big you could fire a gunshot
and no one would notice!
Just bad store operation Imo.

someone to be served.
Most shoppers are just doing price checks to then buy on line, but
their computer TV section showed me they could be competitive with
online.

Just needed to go back to a entrance desk personal with checkout.
Roaming sales people don't work in this case.
--
Petzl

Re: Dick Smith

A few months ago I went in thinking I needed to buy a second TV signal
amplifier.  The young guy in the store explained how the device sends power
up to the aerial and that I only needed one in the house.  If he hadn't been
on the floor to tell me that I would have wasted money buying it.

Re: Dick Smith

That isnt what makes an operation like that economically viable.

Re: Dick Smith

They never stopped doing that.

One of ours went bust a month before Dick Smith did.

Their prices were never anything to write home about.

No one does it that way.

JB HiFi who ate their lunch, dinner and breakfast don't do it like that.

Bullshit. Works fine for JB HiFi.

Re: Dick Smith
On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 17:40:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"

Except crap Telstra stores ....

Re: Dick Smith

They don't do it that way either.

The banks do tho.

Re: Dick Smith

  Some telstra stores have maitre d sometimes probably depends on the
amount of flack they are getting from waiting customers because of not
enough staff. but there are two sorts of these stores in shopping
centres,a few telstra owned ones and the rest franchised Telstra being
the worst for being kept waiting in my experience.

Re: Dick Smith

Yeah, we only have the franchised ones here and the
only time I have used one the waiting was pretty bad.

Mate of mine uses them quite a bit, must ask him.

I have run one to check on what someone I know
claims was available and got a pretty quick and
accurate answer. Didn't get as good a result with
the Optus franchise operation with a question
about what they were up to mobile towers wise,
but that's a pretty pathetically inadequate sample.

None of them use a maitre d here. At least one of
the banks does, I wouldn't go inside a bank more
than about once in 10 years now.

Re: Dick Smith

The maitre d thing  is not permanent, it happens when the customers get
antsy, which in reality is self defeating because it takes one person
away from doing the work,(they must have decided that it keeps customers
happy)If this works, there is no accounting for sheeple.

Re: Dick Smith

Can't say I have ever seen that with a Telstra shop,
but then I don't go in them that often at all.

I did see in the ComBank, and it was very quiet at the time.

True unless they use some ape who wouldn't
normally have anything to do with the customers.

Bet it doesn't.

Re: Dick Smith
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 15:36:00 +1100, "Rod Speed"

They do, actually.  You need to get out more.  The world is bigger
than your backyard.

Got one right.

Re: Dick Smith

None of ours do.

Got them both right.

Re: Dick Smith
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 07:06:45 +1100, "Rod Speed"

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

Re: Dick Smith

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Re: Dick Smith

Like Jaycar?

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 20:05:12 +1100, Sylvia Else

Don't think JayCar competed with Dick Smith seemed different emphasis
JayCar are more like the old Dick Smith when owned by Dick Smith.
--
Petzl

Re: Dick Smith

Different set of products to Dick Smith.  I know I said 'electronics' but I
meant what Dick Smith does.

You can buy computers and peripherals from Dick Smith.  Earphones, TVs, TV
aerials etc.  It's a mix of electricals, computing and electronics and I
think there is a market for it.

Re: Dick Smith

That must be why DSE's business model was so successful in the long
term?

Re: Dick Smith

Woolworths idiots.

Site Timeline