SC Kit Projects

Quick question :

Are Jaycar & Altronics the only 2 stores left in AU that sell kits of Silicon Chip Magazine projects ? I have noticed that DSE have nothing anymore but was wondering if there's anyone else left anywhere ?

Regards

Reply to
AB

"AB"

** Used to be about a dozen Aussie component grocers riding on the magazine kit gravy train:

Radio Despatch Service, Instrol, Kitsets, McGraths, Rod Irving, AD&E, Ellistronics, David Read Electronics, John Carr & Co et alia.

However - nearly all the PCBs for any design ever published in Aussie are still available from RCS Radio, Chester Hill Sydney:

Ask nicely and the inimitable Bob Barnes will include a photocopy of the original article for you with your order.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In Australia, yes, I believe so.

Only one I know of is DIY Electronics in Hong Kong:

They have repackaged and/or redesigned some of the magazine projects over the years. Don't know about recent ones though.

Remember too that both Jaycar and Altronics have wholesale/trade divisions where you can get the kits much cheaper than retail.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

And of course authors like me sell their own SC projects too (fully assembled in my case now) :

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

don't know how closely they mirror SC projects either, but most of the DIY kits are available from Frank Crevilli in Australia, who also designed many of the DIY kits as well, and continues to support them.

Frank can be found at:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

In the case of the K101, that was a direct copy of my EA 20MHz Function Gen project, just a new case/layout with AC plugpack.

The original docs didn't credit me at all, but an email to Peter fixed that pretty quick.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks to those who answered.

I was thinking of upgrading my old ETI amp from years ago that died to either the Ultra LD 135W or the 20W class A , but have some suspicions regarding whether the kits available actually have "genuine" transisters in them......... have heard some dodgy stories recently.....

Thanks again

Reply to
AB

Maybe Jaycar and Altronics should offer a "Sorry Gary/Jack my devices are dodgy" guarantee, in the style of DSE's "Sorry Dick it doesn't work" offer.

BTW, SC have done many "reviews" of the various kits for their amp designs, any dodgy components at the time would have shown up.