Dick Smith?

Because it was handy, I wandered into Dick Smith today to get some 0.5A glass fuses. The fellow looked me up and down, and said "We don't sell fuses any more".

So what do they sell that would not be better bought at Harvey Norman etc? Closure imminent.

All the best Ian Macmillan

Reply to
Ian Macmillan

Or bought online. Hardly Normal's pricing is not the keenest.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It seems to vary from store to store almost as if they are running an experiment in natural selection. The main website OTOH offers specials for components where one component is left in stock at one store only: CMOS 555 being an example. I'm betting they have a hotshot MBA running the show who figures the technical stuff just isn't profitable enough.

Other electronics retailers are inching their prices up already, Jaycar want $3.45 for a LM7555 which I can buy in Australia from Futurlec for $0.52

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Got it in one

--
Reply to
atec77

fuses

Nope, HN don't have fuses either, and HN is just as bad as DSE, but they still seem to keep on making a profit.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

A couple of months ago I bought some stuff on sale at our local DSE. I asked the guy if they were going out of the component/tool business, he reckoned that such items were not going to be stocked locally any more but would be available online.

Just as well that Jaycar have opened up locally.

Reply to
keithr

What's the gripe here FFS. All businesses need to evolve, and DSE was around as a component source for a good number of years. There's no shortage of alternatives around.

Reply to
Noodnik

Couldn't agree more. Nothing new here at all, people have been making the exact same post for more than decade now, get over it. Dick Smith as a component supplier died a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

So what's your take then Dave, on the big picture, i.e. the future of electronics in Australia?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

It was official last summer, they're getting out of the component business, what's left is just clearing the decks, more money selling the toys, no interest is electronics -- slowly been happening since BigW bought them.

I made the mistake of trying to buy some resistors off them (online), some values not available, some they cannot supply as advertised (5% remarked as

1%), and it took several attempts to try completing the order, the have an odd way of telling one to leave them alone. Thanks, but no thanks.

All the decent specials are gone, and they wont order between stores :(

Jaycar selling a lot of crap too, but it must be expensive to hold stock of all those components.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I miss McGraths in Little Lonsdale ;) Back when I lived in Melbourne.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

If you remember McGraths, then you may remember the surplus electronic gear shop right opposite also.

Anyone remember the name of the man that ran the surplus shop, and what happened to him?

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Snip>

So do I. My wife used to cal it "the fruit-loaf-tin place".

Reply to
L.A.T.

I do, there IS now a shortage of local component suppliers, especially if you can't wait days for the post.

far

Nor argument, but just because the reduction in people who know how to use a soldering iron has lead to that situation, doesn't mean we have to like it. And one things for sure, there is *FAR* LESS of a shortage of household electrical box movers!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Too right, and the staff actually knew what they were selling! It was a bygone age though, doesn't seem the kids learn how to use a soldering iron any more.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

.

Radio Parts up on Spencer St was also a 'must visit' when in town, back in the 70's. Kitsets Aust. was another common haunt. At least I now have Jaycar, Altronics and Rockby within 20mins of where I live.

G.

Reply to
glenbadd

I don't really care if farting ashtrays as long as the continue to sell the stuff that I want. The problem with living outside the city is the lack of choice if you want something right away. For me even Jaycar is a

45 km drive away and that adds considerably to the cost if you are only buying a couple of cheap components.
Reply to
keithr

Lot's of good disposals stores then that don't exist any more either.

Lucky you, Springvale seems to be well catered for, not so many other areas. Radio Parts in Carnegie was a LONG drive for me, but at least they had many items. Now that has gone too unfortunately.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

You may find an Altronics dealer is closer.

-- ¡spu?? ou '?? ?oo?

Jasen Betts

Or more likely, NOT.

MrT.