Late model surround sound receiver

I installed a midrange, late model receiver into a client's system yesterday. Along with all the usual features (up conversion of all video sources to HDMI, zone 2 capability, 7.1 speakers, preamp outs and other stuff) I noted a microphone in the box. Now, I've installed a few with mics before and they save a little time, but this thing was something else entirely. It was a relatively inexpensive (AUS$2,000.00) Denon AVR-2310 reciever. I place the mic on the chair and proceeded to run the calibration. First thing I noticed was the test tone. It was not the usual white noise or plain old buzzing. It was a very short tone sweep. Around 1 second duration. I thought no more about it, until I realised that the amp have managed to perform the following functions completely automatically:

  • Identified the phase of all speakers.
  • Worked out the distance of each speaker (7 + sub) to the mic (to within
1cm!).
  • Identified whether the speakers were 'large' or 'small'.
  • Adjusted crossover points for each speaker.
  • Adjusted speaker levels.
  • Adjusted delays for each speaker.
  • Equalised each speaker (only 9 band though).

Nifty technology for not too much money. Colour me impressed.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

cs

on.

or

on.

For once I have to agree - this is impressive.

Reply to
KR