Electricians mistake kills 2, injures 13.

I think that 10kv on a phone line would make the bell coil vaporise, rather than ring. A solid state phone would surely have no chance of ringing, unless it had bloody good overvoltage protection ;)

Maybe we could try this on the lines into telemarketing call centres ?

----------------------- Electrician's mistake kills 2, injures 13 in southern Azerbaijan

30 September 2009 [12:17] - Today.Az An incident has killed 2 and injured 17 in the Azerbaijani southern region of Jalilabad (200 km outside Baku).

An electrician of the Jalilabad region electricity distribution network connected 10,000-kV electricity transmission line to the telephone line while fixing electricity transmission line in the region's Badamagaci village.

As a result, telephones rang at 30 houses simultaneously. The electric strike killed 18-year old Orkhan Badirov and 64-year old Dilshad Jafarova who took the telephone.

A total of 13 injured people were taken to the hospital. They were discharged after initial medical aid. The Jalilabad region prosecutor's office is investigating the case.

The Jalilabad Region Prosecutor Mobil Ismayilov said the 10,000-kV electricity transmission line fell on the communication line at 20:00 on Sept. 29 and all telephones rang without break at houses of the Badamagaci village. Over 10 people who took the telephone at that time were injured.

Two of them - 18-year old Orkhan Badirov and 64-year old Dilshad Jafarova died at the hospital.

Ismayilov said the case is under investigation.

-----------------------

Reply to
kreed

11Kv on the phone (in common-mode) line could possibly power an electronic ringer by ground capacitance.
Reply to
Jasen Betts

I did start thinking along that line some time after I made the post. The part about the "constant ring" ("telephone rang without a break") was a clue to that, where a fake up story probably would state that the phone rang normally.

Its not as though one side of the line is earthed at the phone, (dont know about azerbaijan phone network wiring) so yes.

When the victim. picked up the phone and held it against their face, HT voltage could possibly arc across to their lips or ear via the speaker / mic through their body to earth. lips in particular due to more moisture.

I would hate to be the electrician.

Reply to
KR

Must have been a strong guy to bring the tower down or had good resistance to break the live cable and drop t.

Reply to
terryc

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 04:15:48 -0700 (PDT), kreed put finger to keyboard and composed:

I checked snopes.com, but couldn't find anything.

I also tried the Azerbaijan White Pages, but they're not online:

An Iranian friend tells me that their old phone sockets and mains sockets were identical. Sometimes a telephone would be mistakenly plugged into a mains outlet, resulting in one loud ring and immediate failure.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

A good argument for wireless phones

Reply to
keithr

Or FTTN.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Naah, both stop when you remove batteries/power.

Reply to
terryc