What is this mains connector for?

Hey,

I got a bunch of stuff at a bankruptcy sale a few weeks ago. One of the
items was a HP audio oscillator with an unknown (to me) type of mains
socket. Heres a picture of one of the same type:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/IEC60320_C14.jpg

I don't recognise this. Can someone tell me what country it was intended
for use in and what the likely required supply voltage would be? I'm
guessing it's probably 110 or 240 but need to know for sure.
Thanks.

Re: What is this mains connector for?

Google iec 60320
It is in use in Australia 240vac

Re: What is this mains connector for?

Is the HP model number some secret or not?

That connector is commonly called an IEC connector. It can be either 120 or
240 volts.

If you let us know the model of the HP equipment, someone can most likely
direct you to a PDF copy of the service manual with all the answers.

Re: What is this mains connector for?

Wouldn't help. These pieces of equipment are internally or externally
switchable between 120 and 240V so you need to know what that switch has
been set to. I think HP IIRC also used another scheme whereby you placed
the appropriate fuse in the appropriate holder for the voltage of the
country in question. So you would have two fuse holders, one for 120V and
one for 240V and you placed your fuse - say for example 1A for 240V or 2A
for 120V - in the appropriate fuse-holder. Have a look around the sides
and bottom of the casing for any clues.

Re: What is this mains connector for?

 ** You live at the North pole ??

 That socket is used on every second electronic item sold.

 Been the case for 30 years too.

.....  Phil

Re: What is this mains connector for?

That must be one of the 2 most popular connectors on the planet. There are probably billions in Europe.

NT

Re: What is this mains connector for?

And here across the pond as well.  I've got a few dozen of these with filtering cans on the back side culled from plasma parts before recycling.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/EMI-filter/p/sm/1134192873.htm#1134192873

They're great for adding to older equipment.  Clean simple way of adding a ground, easily replaceable cord, and the filtering doesn't hurt either.

Re: What is this mains connector for?

Sometimes you can get them with built in fuse holder too.

You can get the basic connector, but the filtered ones aren't rare - a nice
touch if there's room for the filter block.

Re: What is this mains connector for?

Yep, and still others have an AC switch on them..

The only place I ever saw the filtered ones were on older plasmas, which is why I saved a bunch of these when recycling the hosts..  These were big, heavy, power pigs that drew a lot of current.  I believe most of filter assys were good for 20 amps.

Re: What is this mains connector for?

Used to be every PC PSU - but been a while since I've seen one there.

Re: What is this mains connector for?
Gunther: "HP Audio Oscillator" ????

PLEASE Be Specific, model number ?
====
HP and Office machine mfg. used a proprietary 3-pin Oval connector in 1950s and 1960s.
The HP Audio Oscillators "bridged" this period --- so the connector changed -- deoendung on mfg. date.
The Oval connector is sometimes identifued as AC-3G, and the plug as PH-163
There are TWO cable sets:
Volex (Belden) P/N: 17280 10 B1 ;
Belden P/N: 17952 (Reverse polarity, Line/Neutral swap)
---
STANDARDS : Beginning in 1970, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) released IEC 320
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Electrotechnical_Commission
as its first attempt to Globally standardize Appliance Power Connectors (on appliance)

A separate effort has been working to standardize the commercial AC power voltages
and its power pkugs/sockets.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

IEC 60320 Appliance couplers for household and similar general purposes (Today's standard).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320
Reference Chart
http://www.stayonline.com/reference-iec320.aspx

greg