LCD TV's at Target

Anyone ever hear of "Truetech" ?

Seems that Target is selling a lot of inexpensive (relatively speaking compared to more well known manufacturers) LCD TV's made by companies I've never even heard of.

Conventional wisdom is don't buy one unless I'm willing to throw away the unit when it fails (lack of tech manuals, lack of parts, made in China, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has experience servicing those cheap no name brand LCD TV's ? (we're talking like 32" sets for say $499, while comparable Sony's are almost double that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

Reply to
Stewie

You are just as likely to get a useful product from Truetech. Magnavox is just a name applied to another set made by a cheap vendor.

What $499 32" set have you seen that is comparable to the Sony? Which model Sony? Comparable how? Size?

Sony has some exceptional LCD sets right now. The crap that I have seen for $499 is not even close.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18156 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

If you believe its comparable to Sony go ahead and buy it.

kip

Reply to
kip

There is no way you can compare a no-name brand type of TV set to another one that comes from a quality manufacture. There are huge differences in the design, performance, serviceability, and reliability. The bottom line is, "You will get what you pay for".

--

JANA _____

Anyone ever hear of "Truetech" ?

Seems that Target is selling a lot of inexpensive (relatively speaking compared to more well known manufacturers) LCD TV's made by companies I've never even heard of.

Conventional wisdom is don't buy one unless I'm willing to throw away the unit when it fails (lack of tech manuals, lack of parts, made in China, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has experience servicing those cheap no name brand LCD TV's ? (we're talking like 32" sets for say $499, while comparable Sony's are almost double that).

My inclination is to purchase one made by Magnavox - any thoughts regarding them ?

Reply to
JANA

Fuck You. I just bought a Protron from ShopNBC and the picture quality beats the hell out of any Sony LCD TV any day of the week. Mine isn't as dark as a lot of the Sonys and it cost about half as much.

Reply to
Sisterman

I got a better idea, shopnbc has a great deal on Protron, and they even give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real high definition and they even give you the html cable which is worth a hundred dollars. You don't even need to buy the extended warranty, just use the money and buy a surge protector instead.

Reply to
Sisterman

Of course you can compare them. Sometimes you even get a good performer in the off brands. There may not be service support, but if the price is low enough it might be a good trade-off. Generally, are correct, but you don't always get what you pay for. I always say, "you get what you pay for if you are lucky and you do your homework." A smart consumer compares everything, including serviceability. You would be shocked at the limits of major brands in this regard sometimes, too. You have to look at specific models and specific information even within brands.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18240 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Your attitude is as bad as your ability to evaluate picture quality and your ability to do research on the products that you are buying. The Protron is not the equal to the wony in any regard that I can think of. The reason that the Sony looks dark is because it can produce blacks better, while the Protron cannot. A properly calibrated Sony LCD is, in todays, market, one of the finest pictures around and a pretty good value relative to its competitors. You acn also get it fixed locally by someone who has access to real tech support, where with the Protron you cannot.

You may be happy with your purchase, with the price you paid, and that is fine. Don't be an ass and pretend to know that it is a better set, as it is clearly not.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18240 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

You said it asshole, I know that Protron makes a T.V. with a better picture than Sony. With Sony,you're paying extra for useless features, the build quality and picture quality is the same with some of these 'cheap' brands. Most of the problem with T.v.s in this newsgroup is with the jap-shit brands, not the more affordable brands.

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin

Again, you show your ignorance as well as your attitude. No upconverting DVD player makes "regular DVDs" into "real high definition." This is impossible. They take a 480i encoded signal, resample it to a higher scan rate, and perhaps de-interlace it. They do not create resolution, just eliminate visible scan lines. At best you get a low resolution image displayed at HD rates, with little additional artifacts. Sometimes, perhaps often, the upconverted image has artifacts that make it wose than allowing the display to do the upconversion. Since you are using such an inferior display, the conversion in the player may, indeed, be better than that of your set, but you are NOT seeing HD from DVDs unless you have a BD or HD DVD machine with the appropriate disc.

You might wish you had the extended warranty when you can't find service for your set and no one wants to replace it for you. Hope you get lucky. I got a call from a customer a few months ago with a broken Protron and could not get any parts nor service literature for it at all. On the other hand, at about the same time I had a client that got a replacement 42" set from Sony at no charge, not even shipping to get it back to them, on a set that had a

1 year warranty. The set was 4 years old. Sony extended the warranty to cover a problem that they discovered well into the life of the product. Don't expect that from Protron or Spectron or whoever puts their name on your set, even if you can find them four years from now.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18240 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Sisterman ha escrito: SNIP

ROFL

and they even give you the html cable which is worth a

ROFL. X2 any particular surge protector?

Most of the problem with this newsgroup is people with an attitude that don't know what they are talking about. You will be corrected when you are wrong or offensive, then you will be ignored.

A closed mind who proposes that any generalization about brands leads to the best buying decision is simply wrong. You can get a good value on either end of the spectrum of available products if you shop, educate yourself, and understand the relationship between your priorities and the products. The answer is not the same for everyone, nor is it the same for the products within the same brand. You have to shop rather than ASSume.

There are lots of people here that work with these products every day who can give good advice and reasonable opinions. There is no need for off brand bigots any more than there is need for Sony bigots here.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18240 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Sisterman wrote: .. even

Need Sista-Man say anything else to prove that he be right????????????

Convert a regular DVD to real high definition? I would like to know the technology they use to do this because I was not aware of any manufacture being able to convert a regular dvd or other non-hdtv signal and making it REAL high definition. What exactly is a html cable? Is this a cable to connect the internet web sites to the tv set?

Reply to
dkuhajda

he said that the DVD player converts DVD to high definition. They already have DVD's that say made for high definition on them, dumbass.

Reply to
Nate Scharff

You mean you said in a previous post under another name "give you a DVD player that takes regular dvds and converts them to real high definition"

BTW keep posting through your so called anonymous server through whatever name you are using this time around.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Unfortunately, there often is little difference between a well respected company like Sony or HP bidding out the manufactur of a product and buying that product from a fly by night company. Any body who has had an HP printer not last six months can attest to this.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It does. A lot of DVD's especially the latest releases, say "filmed in high definition" so this DVD player is capable of reproducing the movie as the studio intended, fuckface.

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin

Think about brands like Admiral(Monkey Wards), Insignia (Best buy), Egear and Memorex(was at target) and Durabrand (Anal-Mart) and who makes these televisions? Orion does.

Want to know who else also slaps their name on Orion shit? Sansui, Emerson, JVC and Toshiba!!!

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin

You know, most pure trolls don't really believe the BS that they post. Apparently, you actually do. What happens to make a person behave in such a manner that makes him/her appear to be such an idiot and a loser? If you are going to troll and use multiple aliases, at least do a respectable job of it.

Just so no readers who are not familiar with the technology get misled, standard DVDs do not have the capability to produce HD images. Many players can upconvert to higher scan rates, but this does not mean that they are providing the detail of HD.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18248 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Yes it does jockstrap, otherwise, why would they include the fancy digital cable that hooks up the dvd player to the tv and shopnbc says that the cable alone is worth a hundred dollars.

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin