Talking about Target stores

AS i was driving around this season to buy gifts, I did notice that at 2 different Target Stores i past by. Very Very little business seem to be going on there. Parking lot had lots of room for car's.. Most other places around us were very busy... I understand Target is a French owned Company ? If so, then maybe it's the reason why they were not getting as much business as they should have been. I understand there is a lot of bad feelings with the French at the moment here in the States.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

A lot of people were boycotting Target stores after their ban of any charity from their parking lots a few years ago. The biggest was Salvation Army, along with their traditional kettles for people to drop coins in as they pass. Locally, they refused to work with any group, even though it wouldn't have cost them a cent. The local veterans have a program during the summer called "Stuff the Bus" where an old military bus is parked for a couple hours so people can donate school supplies to be distributed to the elementary schools for low income families. Every place except Target let them use their parking lot. They claim that its a "liability" issue, but it is a huge public relations mistake.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jamie wrote in news:etVjh.62$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.lga:

No, it is not. It is a U.S. company, headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange as TGT.

There is an old joke, "I buy my clothes at an exclusive French store," and then the name "Target" is pronounced with a French accent, so it comes out "tar-JHAY".

Reply to
Jim Land

Wish I could say the same about the Target stores around here. I hate waiting in line . . . The Target stores here have been going like gangbusters since Turkey Day.

Reply to
Vey

I think this was about as effective as the lettuce boycott of the '60's, meaning that it wasn't.

Reply to
Vey

I thought it was originally a Dayton (then Dayton-Hudson) Department Store chain. You can read about it here:

But I suppose that, to some people, Ohioans are a lot like Frenchmen.

Reply to
Vey

It's sad. Here we have Big Kmart. That store is like a library. Nobody is in there, but across town Walmart is full, parking lot is full, store is full, lines are ridiculous. And Walmart HAS Salvation Army at the doors. Of course I don't give them anything, I hate beggars.

Reply to
Roddy Meatstick..............

I was told that Target actually did commercials where they called

*themselves* Tarzhay, in order to sound more fashionable.

I don't know if this is true or if this was before or after they started using a target as a logo.

I think that's where Jamie got the idea.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

The lettuce and grape boycott got most or several of the big California growers to sign contracts with the UFW. It fell apart a few years later, but I don't know why.

You should hope boycotts work, because it is the only leverage that almost anyone has.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

Day.

Reply to
Rob Mills

Our local Target store was packed, and their sales figures don't reflect any problems.

Some of us appreciate corporati> A lot of people were boycotting Target stores after their ban of any

Reply to
M Berger

You are absolutely right. In fact, they should put machine guns in all of their parking lots and shoot anyone who dares to smile, or utter those banned words, "Merry Christmas". They shouldn't recognize the holiday season, and close down from the end of October, till the end of January to make sure none of their products are given as gifts, as well.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gotta love those christian attitudes! ;)

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Hey! Whats'amatter, you? Don't you like sarcasm before lunch? :)

What? The bible says love they neighbor, but it also tells you that in a war you are to "Destroy your enemy, every man, woman and child, that they rise against ye, not again."

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I bet that if Al-Qaeda started reading the bible we would be in really serious trouble!

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Wouldn't they have to learn to read, first?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I doubt it. It doesn't slow down the christian fundamentalist much.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Somehow, that doesn't surprise me that the "RED CROSS" is "trying" to take credit. They can be a pushy bunch. I've been close enough to them - in training and so on - but after getting a good taste of what they really wanted - I said to hell with it. They couldn't pay me enough to take their bull shit.

They're not "all that" - as they would like to think. I don't care if I was burned out - I can do better off without their charity. They don't offer crap - so far as I am concerned.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

They had a food truck near here a couple years ago, after one of the hurricanes. The hot meals they promised were usually several hours late, and there was no gasoline availible, so you couldn't afford multiple trips. I spent up to four hours waiting for a singfle hot meal each day. The rest of the time I lived on Peanut butter and crackers, or cans of SPAM. Prior to that, I spent close to 10 days in an emergency county shelter for the disabled at a local high school. The food was better, but it was all high in calories from sugar and high in fats. I'm diabetic, and have high blood pressure, so between the two of them had me quite ill for months as I readjusted to my normal diet, and air condtioning. Its time to use up all my emergency rations, and start restocking for next hurricane season. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Radiosrfun" wrote in news:4591fedb$0$4963$ snipped-for-privacy@news.coretel.net:

Yea, they are profiteering scum. Even back in WWII they got people in the states to make gloves to give to the troops, which they then SOLD to the troops.

me