DVD and CD Playing in Fast Forward

Hi,

First, here are my related PC specs (it's a Dell Dimension 8250)

- Win XP Pro SP1

- P4 2.52

- 512 RAM

- GeoForce4 MX 420 Graphics

- Sount Blaster Live Series

- Sony DVD -RW DRU-820A

- NEC CD-RW 9300A

I have an odd problem playing DVD's and CD's. Basically, music and video's are playing in fast forward. Not so much so that you can't see or hear like a normal fast forward but at sort of hyper speed - maybe

1.5x so the sound is a bit garbled and video is jumpy.

I have had the CD and DVD players working with no problem over 6 months. It all started happening after I rented a DVD that I didn't notice had a huge scratch in it. I was watching it on my TV's DVD player and it wouldn't go past a certain point so I tried it in my PC's DVD player. It played a little further but still had issues around the same time frame. On my PC it gave an error popup - something to the effect of not being able to read the DVD. I tried a couple of times and gave up. But, ever since then I've had the hyper speed problems.

I've done a bunch of troubleshooting already -

- Checked for DMA/IRQ conflicts and don't see any.

- Tried playing DVD's and CD's in different software - VLC, Windows Media Player, Real Player, Nero Showtime - all had the same issue.

- Thinking it might be my DVD player I contacted Sony, they ran me through a bunch of updates including updating my ASPI and the DVD firmware - same issue.

- Uninstalled and re-installed Nero (the suite was bundled with the DVD).

- Uninstalled and re-installed both CD and DVD players - same issue.

- Finally, I tried the DVD and CD players on a different PC that I have and they both worked fine.

I am at a loss now - not sure what it could be at this point. I wanted to check if anyone had any ideas on what the problem is before I go do a clean install of XP? I'm just hoping it isn't something with the system board IDE connections.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reply to
thegonz14

there might be prob with ur operating system..

regards

free
online
games
multiplayer

Reply to
rockie2323

I think I'd try a differnt DVD-CD drive.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias