CD burner to DVD burner

Now I am not sure if this is the right group for this question... but here it goes: I believe I had read somewhere that you can use a CD burner as a DVD burner.. No I don't mean copy movies into a CD in DVD format what I mean is: lets say I have 4 GB of data files like spreadsheets and stuff that I want to back up. Is there a way to use my existing CD burner with any mods and use it to burn DVD media? excuse me if this is really ridiculous

Reply to
Ronak Shah

here

mean is:

want

to burn

You're excused. It's ridiculous. The DVD RW uses much more advanced technology to get more on the same sized disk.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I think your info is coming from misleading ads for software that produces VCD disks, which are primarily an Asian pirate movie format. Most DVD players will play VCD disks, with VHS quality rather than DVD quality.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

is:

Compress and span over multiple media...

burn

No way!!! Their firmware hacks that might have gotten you confused are most likely about enabling dual-layer burning on old DVD-burners.

/A

Reply to
Anders F

Go to the shop and get a DVD-burner for 50bucks or even less.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

What you want to do is not applicable and will not work. You need a DVD writer to write to DVD type media. The density of CD media is not high enough to put more data on it than what it is rated for. Your only other alternative is to use any of the data compression software's that are available. Personally I don't like to highly compress backup data.

If you want to write to DVD media, you will have to install a DVD writer. There is no work around for that one!

--

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

You're not buying anything, you're renting a movie DVD, without having to return the DVD when you're done. So the price should be no more than at a rental store, and there should be 5 and 7-day versions, like the store.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Umm, I thought it was IR and blue light? Or maybe that was the dual-layer discs?

BTW, have you seen those "expiring DVD's" yet? They have an oxygen-reacting polymer on the readable side that turns red 72 hours after opening. This allows the disc to be readable for only three days. Hmmm, is three days long enough to copy a DVD? I think so...

-M

Reply to
Mark Jones

As others have pointed out, it is ridiculous. The main difference between a DVD and a CD is the size of the structures on the disk. This relates to the wavelength (=color) of the laser. CDs work with infrared, DVD with red light. Dual drives normally have two different lasers.

Regards,

Iwo

Reply to
Iwo Mergler

Sheeesh! I just wait for movies to be out of the theaters for six months, then buy them if they've been well-reviewed. I'm up to about

350 movies now (I just bought a set of uncommon Hitchcock oldies). Needless to say I don't watch much regular TV ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That's a fine choice, but it's $15 to $25, vs. about $5 for recent top movies, so it's a choice. There are lots of movies I only want to see once, so I'll pay $5.

There are movies I'd prefer to buy. I'm still looking for a copy of The Gods Must Be Crazy.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Also an easy item to bypass... Five gallon bucket + CO2 fire extinguisher - CO2 is heavier than air. Shoot bucket full of CO2. Open package at bottom of bucket. Use a clear coat of some sort - varnish, laquer, or similar, and paint the disk. Let dry. Presto - Disk doesn't self-destruct, 'cause as far as it's concerned, it hasn't been opened.

Of course, I'll not be attempting this, since I'll *NEVER* buy such a product in the first place.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.

I don't rent. If I pay for it, it's mine. End of discussion.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

Tell me where to send it. Our local Wally-world has three rows of it on the shelf as of yesterday at about 6PM local time.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

Oops, punched send too quick. Meant to say that they were wanting $14 and change for it.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

Found that a few weeks ago on "The Digitally remastered Abbott & Costello 2 hour Colgate" DVD - At Dollar Tree, no less. Snatched it. For a buck and 7 cents, there's no way to go wrong!

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

No, blue lasers are comming in the next generation, blu-ray and HD-DVD. Dual-layer is just a matter of focussing - it's a firmware feature.

Regards,

Iwo

Reply to
Iwo Mergler

Sorry it ain't possible. The laser in DVD writers is smaller diameter and different wavelength than laser in CD burner. The smaller beam is required to squeeze more data on the media. The media must also be capable of accepting the data. So besides requiring a DVD burner, you must also use DVD media to get densities greater than 800mB.

Reply to
DAW

What I think you read about is that CDs can be burned in a format that is readable on television DVD players. This doesn't increase the capacity, it just means you can put short videos on them.

Reply to
mc