Re: QuartusII software licencing

I would very much like to rant until they dropped the licencing on the
free tools.  But I feel I rant a bit too much already and I don't want
to alienate anyone (or anyone more than I have).  I know that sometimes
I push buttons with Peter and Austin.  I hope they don't mind too much.

I remember telling the Orcad people what I thought of their new
licensing scheme when they were bought by some larger, high end player.
The new owners felt that Orcad should have high end licensing and I let
them know that I would not be installing the upgrade because of it.  I
belive it would have required me to either buy an Ethernet card or to
use a dongle.  These days I am not willing to do either to use
software.  But a hard drive key is within my comfort zone.  I know that
if I replace my hard drive I can set my own serial number and be back on
the air without depending on them.  Orcad is one company I will *never*
depend on for anything.

Rick "rickman" Collins
Re: QuartusII software licencing
My current favorite is Mentor; their "perpetual" license must be
renewed every 5 years.  (This is for their "perpetual" leonardo

Re: QuartusII software licencing
In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

For Ethernet cards, too; for most it's trivial to flash a new MAC
address permanently.  You need hardware-specific tools to do it, but
virtually all modern Ethernet cards have the MAC address in a serial
EEPROM of some sort.

You can still, obviously, not have two Ethernet cards with the same
MAC address on the same network.