Re: QuartusII software licencing

> > I just tried to install the Quartus II web edition software and I see > > that to get a license I need to have an Ethernet card. Does Altera > > provide for any other sort of license? It seems silly to require me to > > buy and install an Ethernet interface just so they can key a license for > > *free* software. > > Rick -- ask the REAL question: why do they continue bother with the > licensing bullshit AT ALL, esp. for FREE SOFTWARE that enables us to > design with their chips? Rant rant rant. > > If I had a nickel for every minute I've wasted on FlexLM, I'd retire.

I would very much like to rant until they dropped the licencing on the free tools. But I feel I rant a bit too much already and I don't want to alienate anyone (or anyone more than I have). I know that sometimes I push buttons with Peter and Austin. I hope they don't mind too much.

I remember telling the Orcad people what I thought of their new licensing scheme when they were bought by some larger, high end player. The new owners felt that Orcad should have high end licensing and I let them know that I would not be installing the upgrade because of it. I belive it would have required me to either buy an Ethernet card or to use a dongle. These days I am not willing to do either to use software. But a hard drive key is within my comfort zone. I know that if I replace my hard drive I can set my own serial number and be back on the air without depending on them. Orcad is one company I will *never* depend on for anything.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

My current favorite is Mentor; their "perpetual" license must be renewed every 5 years. (This is for their "perpetual" leonardo license.)

Reply to
Spam Hater 7

Followup to: By author: "Giuseppe³" In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

For Ethernet cards, too; for most it's trivial to flash a new MAC address permanently. You need hardware-specific tools to do it, but virtually all modern Ethernet cards have the MAC address in a serial EEPROM of some sort.

You can still, obviously, not have two Ethernet cards with the same MAC address on the same network.

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
H. Peter Anvin