QuartusII: how to find out all the instances of a VHDL module in a design?

Hi All, currently I'm working with the Altera QuartusII 6.0sp1 and I can't find a way to find out ALL the instances of a given module (of which I can see the corresponding VHDL file in the Project Navigator pane) through my whole design, i.e. without having to browse all the design blocks one-by-one to look if that module is instantiated. It seems a quite simple task, but I can't manage how to do it... Could someone give me some hints? Thank you in advance.

Regards, Claudio

Reply to
Totti10

Sideway

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, the Hierarchy tab doesn't show me where each module is instantiated... (I'm talking about QuartusII 6.0sp1, I don't know if in the previous versions the Hierarchy tab was different). Maybe my explanation wasn't so good, so I will try to make an example:

- suppose I have a design composed by 3 top-level blocks, named A, B and C (described as VHDL or schematic files);

- suppose in each block I instantiated two 8-bit counter modules, all corresponding to a unique VHDL file (let's name it count8bit.vhd)

In the Hierarchy tab I can expand one by one the tree under modules A, B and C and see that in each of them there are 2 instances of the "count8bit" entity. What I would like to do is the opposite: I'd like to select the count8.vhd module and see every instance of it in my design, so that I can locate the 2 instances in block A, the 2 in block B and the last 2 in block C. It would be very useful to me, I wonder if it's possible to do it with QuartusII because up to now I didn't find a way to do it.

Regards, Claudio

Sideway wrote:

Reply to
Claudio

I think I know, what you mean. Qaurtus shows the instances in the h-tab, but when clicking on it, Q jumps to the module. I do it that way, that I use cut&paste to copy the name of the module, jump to the former folder (upper level) and do a search for.

Another possibilty is to click on the item and chooes "Locate in design"

Reply to
alterauser

Thank you for the answer. I discussed with many people about this feature, and all of them confirmed to me that there isn't a straight way to do what I'd like to do. The only solution I've found is to use the Node Finder, typing the name of the module I want to find (remembering to always put aterisks before and after the module name, otherwise the search will fail), selecting "Design Entry (all names)" as filter and performing a search in the top-level module enabling the "Include subentities" option. A bit tricky, but it works... By the way, I hope that Altera will include a direct option like "List all instances of the selected module in the design", it could be really useful with large designs.

Regards, Claudio

alterauser wrote:

Reply to
Claudio

Claudio,

Thank you for your imput. It will be passed on to the correct folks so that it may be included in a future release.

Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta