Measuring pulse width in ModelSim simulation without using cursors and writing the widths to a text file

II would like to find out what is the most sensible way to generate a text output file with timing measurements from a ModelSim simulation.

Specifically, I have a long sequence of pulses in my simulation and I would like to generate a text file that looks something like:

PW1 PW2 PW3 . .

where PW1 is the width (in time) of pulse 1 etc...

I do NOT want to use the cursors, as this would take days to do for numerous simulations and long pulse trains.

I am aware of the ability to output a VDC (Value Change Dump) file but the format does not make sense to me and the ModelSim (XE Starter, 6.0) user manual is awfully unclear.

I hope someone can help!

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
PeterC

Verilog?

Forgive me if I have my syntaxes all messed up - I typically don't do this stuff, just know that it can be done. Does time require the (parenthesis) or not?

time hold; always @(posedge myPulse) hold

Reply to
John_H

Ahh, Verilog strikes again. I don't speak Verilog but I'm sure there would be similar constructs in VHDL.

Thanks for the tip John, I will investigate.

Reply to
PeterC

This would be right on-topic in comp.lang.vhdl.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Apologies Mike, you're absolutely right. I have figured it out.

Reply to
PeterC