Inactive signals are active!!! - Chipscope Pro 7.1i - SP4

I have set up a ILA and ICON core in my design and connected them together as required.

When I run Chipscope Analyzer it finds the core and allows me to set up the trigger.

The trigger is 8 bits of which the top 3 bits are unused (so in my VHDL I have tied them to 0), data to capture is set to the same as the trigger.

When I capture some data I have unexpected activity on my signals, including the 3 bits that are tied to 0 in the VHDL!!!

How is it possible to see activity on the top 3 bits of the trigger/data when they are tied to 0? Obviously now I have no faith in the signals that are attached to the other 5 bits of the trigger/data.

Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
simon.stockton

a collegue had this problem last week (but I'm not sure about the version) ... (I hope I remember correctly)

If you change the port connections with the core inserter tool, then the analyzer sometimes fails to update the names and port numbers ... you end up with some signals toggling that should not and your trigger beeing constant ... AFAIR a new analyzer project could help ...

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

Thanks for the reply,

I am not actually using the Core Inserter Tool.

I create the ICON core and the ILA core using the Core Generator, then manually instanciate them into my design and wire them up.

At this point I then use the Core Analyzer to set up the trigger and capture the data.

Simon

Reply to
simon.stockton

I found the problem, it was due to a "dodgy" USB cable.

I changed the cable and now all is well.

Cheers,

Simon

Reply to
simon.stockton